Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Measuring gravity during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
walther
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Measuring gravity during fermentation

Hi,

Inspired by this thread (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/real-time-fermentation-monitor-85661/), do you think the following would work with CO2 dissolved in the brew?

(a ping pong ball or similar in a pipe, connected with a rod to a pressure transducer such as Artikel-Nr.: 182583 - 62 from conrad.de)

......_____
......| T |..T=pressure sensor
......| | |.......
______| | |________
|.....| | |.......|
|.....| | |.......|
|XXXXX|X|X|XXXXXXX|
|XXXXX|X|X|XXXXXXX|
|XXXXX|/ \|XXXXXXX|
|XXXXX|\_/|XXXXXXX|
|XXXXX|XXX|XXXXXXX|
|XXXXX|XXX|XXXXXXX|
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|
-------------------

Thank you,
Walther

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I see three problems with this:
1) The ping pong ball, or any buoy could hit the edges of a tube and cause an error in the reading
2) There will be some residual CO2 gas that will form inside of the tube if it is closed which could also lead to some error
3) Problems with dissolved CO2 or CO2 bubbling out of solution creating a degree of error.

I think the third (and possibly second) problems would be negligible, or could easily be compensated for, however. it is similar to my idea of using a buoy (such as a ping pong ball or hydrometer) that is submerged and held down by a force transducer.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
walther
Recipes 

Hi,

And i think your idea is great!

Also the force of pingpong ball is quite strong compared to a traditional hydrometer, so the adhesion to the pipe wall is probably irrellevant?
You could also make a pipe of stainlesssteel net, to reduce adhesion and ensure not reading a local value inside the pipe,...

Thank you,
walther

(this could be very cheap!)

Quick Reply