Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > McMaster Keg O-Ring List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #71
NoCornOrRice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

thank you for posting this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #72
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
Anyone have any idea what the part number for this oring might be? It is the oversized one for leaky kegs.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-LID-SEALING-O-RING-P58C78.aspx
yes, i recently ordered two of them and i like them much better than the normal sized "O" rings which are sold for the ligs seals.
i have used kegs purchased a year or so ago from AIHB.

they are expensive but i think i'm gonna buy another two unless those silicon "O" ring from mcmaster are better...they sure are cheaper!
hope this helps.....

GD

Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #73
RScottyL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Can you update the pricing for the o-rings, as it looks like it has changed.

You can now order 50 of the silicone ones instead of 100, which will make it easier on the wallet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn View Post
I decided to rearrange this post to be a little more straight forward with the information. The bulk of the info provided here was copied/edited/paraphrased from a Dec 2010 post on Homebrew Finds - so a big thanks to Chris (724b). Rather than copying the blog post's text, I have pared down to just the relevant details no so this is easier to read at a glance. The links and numbers below are currently for ball lock kegs, but if you have the numbers/links for the o-rings for pin locks please let me know and I will add them to the list.
  • Dip Tube O-rings $1.96/100 - 9452K172
  • Dip Tube O-rings Quad Sealing $4.46/100 - 90025K368 (better seal, less force)
  • Post O-rings Buna-N $2.15/100 - 9452K23 (liquid post)
  • Post O-rings Silicone $10.71/100 - 9396K24 (gas post)
  • Lid O-rings Buna-N $12.69/10 - 9452K218
  • Lid O-rings Silicone $7.88/5 - 9396K926
  • Internal Quick Disconnect O-rings Silicone $6.11/100 - 9396K18 (see notes)

Regarding Buna-N vs Silicone:
Most use Buna-N on the liquid posts because they are cheaper and a liquid leak will be immediately obvoius. Silicone is supposed to seal better, and is generally used for the gas posts. This also has the effect of color coding the posts as Buna-N is black and Silicone is red. Though the keg lid is generally sealing against gas coming out, most use the Buna-N for lid sealing without any problems.

Notes/Additional O-Rings:
I will list extra info and additional o-rings and part numbers here until I have enough to start reorganising it by keg type or similar.
  • The o-ring listed for the Internal QD (9396K18) aren't exactly the same as the standard square sided o-ring that comes in quick disconnects, but the HBF author stated they work well for him and I have found this to be true as well.
  • Dip Tube Silicone o-rings $9.44/100 - 9396K74 (thanks crazyworld)
  • Sanke Keg o-ring $4.67/10 - 9396k215 (thanks dstar26t)
  • barrooze reported that the standard post o-rings for ball locks appear to be a bit small in thickness for use on a pin lock post and he will try using the next thickness up (0.139").
11-8-2012-7-39-47-am.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #74
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

100 silicone post o-rings from amazon, $10.13 shipped if you have Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMWNZS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

100 of the buna-n o-rings were $8 and change shipped, so for $2 I'll take silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #75
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724b View Post
This is a great deal... thanks for posting!

I just put this up on homebrew finds...
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/11/great-deal-100-keg-post-orings-1013.html
haha, I'm FaaborgBryggeri on twitter, FWIW. Glad to help!

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #76
adamant
Recipes 

How would the 4061T118 compare to the 9396K18.

They are square, but Buna-N.

These are probably too thick. I didn't realize what these o-rings were for until I received them!

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the small rings on the popets or vents?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #77
tre9er
Recipes 

I can confirm from this weekend that the cornie post o-rings will ALSO work on a paintball tank. Had one shredded, tank was leaking at "the adapter" and I threw one (from amazon above) on there and all is right-as-rain now.

Quote:

Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #78
Floydsview
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
When I make my next McMaster-Carr order, I will try these: Silicone Oring 10mmx3mm
Has anyone used the above silicone orings for pin-lock's?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #79
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydsview View Post
Has anyone used the above silicone orings for pin-lock's?
Silicone is not a good choice for Corny post Orings, and if used elsewhere in your kegging setup, will just complicate your life with lubricant incompatibilities.

Why silicone is not a good choice for keg posts:
Silicone is only recommended for static placement- like a keg lid or dip tube. It does not hold up well when subjected to dynamic stresses- like removing & replacing keg QDs.

Lubricant incompatibility:
Silicone rubber is not compatible with silicone based lubricants (i.e. "Keg Lube"). A silicone based lube will soften, enlarge, and degrade a silicone rubber Oring making it even more susceptible to dynamic stress damage. This will result in randomly occurring leaks (which I think are more sinister than a leak at initial assembly time).

Silicone is, however, compatible with petrolatum based lubes (Petrol-Gel, Lubri-film, etc.), and they are the most readily available lubes for use with silicone. Buna-n, conveniently, is compatible with both silicone and petrolatum based lubes.

Why you should still care about lubricant incompatibility:
Sankey keg valves (EPDM) and shank/coupler gaskets (Neoprene) are incompatible (highly for EPDM in my experience) with virtually all lubricants made for silicone rubber as most are petroleum based. There are some dual use lubes, but they are prohibitively expensive, hard to source, and have dubious food safiness (any Colbert fans out there?).

So, if you will never encounter EPDM (Sankey), Neoprene (shank/coupler gaskets), or for that matter almost any material besides silicone rubber and Buna-n, you could get away with switching to a single petrolatum based lubricant.

Why there are still no good arguments for using silicone rubber for kegs:
If you have a post that will only seal with a silicone Oring, it would be better to find out why, and fix it. Using a silicone Oring to remedy the situation will likely just cause a random sealing issue after it inevitably fails due to wear.

For dip tubes, given the better sealing properties of the "X-rings" (quad/dual/double seal), and that they have only been found (so far) in Buna-n, there really isn't much of an argument for silicone here either.

For lids, same goes as for posts- find the problem: bent lid, worn feet, bent keg flange,etc., and fix it. (More than likely fixing the issue will make your lids and kegs interchangeable so you don't have a panic situation when you forget which lid goes where with what Oring.) There isn't the danger of dynamic damage with lids, except during handling, but the lubricant issue remains.

Applications where silicone rubber does make sense:
For 'weldless' kettle fittings they are a good choice because of their high heat ratings. It is a static placement, and lube shouldn't be used in this application anyway, so it doesn't cause any lubricant compatibility issues. Although for stainless vessels, getting the fittings welded or soldered is a much better solution- regardless of what Blichmann fanboys have been brainwashed into believing.

Same goes for cam and groove (camlock) fittings. Silicone is a good choice since the fitting may be exposed to high heat; it is (mostly) a static placement; and no lube should be used here either.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #80
Old_mil_guy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamant View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the small rings on the popets or vents?
I need the small orings inside the ball lock posts. Anyone have # for those?

Quick Reply