Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > McMaster Keg O-Ring List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #51
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurph View Post
They were the silicone ones. $0.03 apiece for all except the post o-rings (-111), which were $0.05. They have a minimum of $5 per item, so I ended up with quite a few (167) of each, but still cheaper than McMaster for more of them. They also have a pretty slick order interface. My apologies too; I totally sound like I work for their marketing department.
Too bad they don't have the silicone lid o-rings. Those are the expensive ones at $2.22 per o-ring. On that topic, the OP might want to update the current pricing on the various products. The silicone lid o-rings show $7.88 for a 5-pack, when they are currently at $11.09.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #52
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
Has anyone ever used these for the lid? They are only 3/16s cross section, but they are quad seals. Maybe they will be better for a leaky keg.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#90025K551

or these yellow ones? I read they may be softer and larger.

http://www.rcbequip.com/item5101.ctlg
I'd be interested to hear about those quad seal o-rings for the lid as well. If they fit like the quad seal post o-rings, that would be great. Those post o-rings are exceptional at sealing. They seal even with a basic hand tightening.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #53
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

theres been a bunch of chatter lately of leaky kegging systems due to post o rings sized wrong for pin locks. i went through this earlier this winter, and ordered the rings up listed in this post, but they just arent big enough. so if anyone has pin lock kegs and are having problems with gas leaks, or worse yet, liquid, this is the size that worked for me:

3/32 thick
1/2 id
11/16 od

if you wiggle your post and you hear gas leaking, you need bigger o rings. hope this helps.

oh and if anyone is looking for ball lock o rings, i have a whole bag of them sitting here, will trade for hops, etc.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #54
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedo View Post
... 3/32 thick
1/2 id
11/16 od

Those specs match the #112 o-rings found here: #112 Silicone - 9396K25

I haven't tried them but plan to.

The #111's are the ones listed in the master post of this thread.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #55
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

In a former life I spent eight years engineering which often required specifying orings. I also recently acquired 10 pin locks so I thought I would jump in. The oring bible is the parker o-ring handbook: http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD...g_Handbook.pdf

2-111 orings have an ID of .424 and an OD .630
This is for a gland of .463 and a bore of .625

2-112 orings have an ID of .487 and an OD of .693
This is for a gland of .525 and a bore of .687

My measuring of pin lock posts and connectors shows a gland of .485 and a bore of .655. As you can see this is between the 2-111 and the 2-112.

2-xxx are the standard orings available most anywhere.
There is another series of 5-xxx orings that are custom sizes.

Looking on the custom chart (pg 237 of the attached pdf) there is a oring that looks perfect. 5-615 has an ID of .469 and an OD .675

Now these custom oring often require a large order with expensive tooling setup charges, but sometimes one can get luck and a dealer has them on the shelf. I’ll call around to a few places I know but it will likely be just as cheap to order the proper oring from places like CHI.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...oducts_id=2547

Finally if I was going to use one of the standard orings I would use the 2-112. Because it is larger it has more material to squeeze into the gland which would be more likely to seal.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #56
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

fifelee, sweet we now have an o ring guy! i think we have a couple orings that came on used kegs that were actually bigger than the sizes i listed. work good. the replacement ones that shipped with my used kegs, and the smaller ones in this thread, NFG.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #57
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee View Post
2-111 orings have an ID of .424 and an OD .630
This is for a gland of .463 and a bore of .625

2-112 orings have an ID of .487 and an OD of .693
This is for a gland of .525 and a bore of .687

My measuring of pin lock posts and connectors shows a gland of .485 and a bore of .655. As you can see this is between the 2-111 and the 2-112.
I was looking at Mcmaster-Carr metric o-ring sizes and this one appears to be in between the #111 & #112.

2.5mm x 12mm : ID of 0.472 / OD of 0.669 / thickness of 0.098

In Silicone: 2.5mmx12mm

Could these be a better option for pinlock kegs?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #58
fifelee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
I was looking at Mcmaster-Carr metric o-ring sizes and this one appears to be in between the #111 & #112.

2.5mm x 17mm : ID of 0.472 / OD of 0.669 / thickness of 0.098

In Silicone: 2.5mmx17mm

Could these be a better option for pinlock kegs?

I think the oring you are looking at is the 12mm (.472 ID) x 2.5mm (.098 W). This looks close but the width is a concern. I did some calculations. Normally static oring seals are set up to compress about 18%. From my measuring the correct pin lock oring setup has a 16% compression. A bit lower then standard but still okay. The metric oring you mention has a reduced width and the compress ends up being about 12%. What I think could work is go to a 3mm oring with a reduced ID. The 10mm (ID) x 3mm (W) will have to be stretched over the post, but this would also reduce the width to be close to the standard. This results in about a 20% compression. Just an idea I may get around to trying.

FYI the 2-111 only has a 11% compression. That is why some people have had issues with leaks.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #59
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I think the oring you are looking at is the 12mm (.472 ID) x 2.5mm (.098 W)....
thanks, I fixed the link

Quote:
..... This looks close but the width is a concern. I did some calculations. Normally static oring seals are set up to compress about 18%. From my measuring the correct pin lock oring setup has a 16% compression. A bit lower then standard but still okay. The metric oring you mention has a reduced width and the compress ends up being about 12%. What I think could work is go to a 3mm oring with a reduced ID. The 10mm (ID) x 3mm (W) will have to be stretched over the post, but this would also reduce the width to be close to the standard. This results in about a 20% compression. Just an idea I may get around to trying.

FYI the 2-111 only has a 11% compression. That is why some people have had issues with leaks.
Thanks for the analysis. Does this mean that, as designed, the pin lock connector has non-standard compression or non-standard oring requirements? Given its frequency of use, maybe it was designed with low compression for ease of connection? Of course the low compression results in a higher rate of poor seals and requires added attention to connector alignment.

When I make my next McMaster-Carr order, I will try these: Silicone Oring 10mmx3mm

Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #60
fifelee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
Thanks for the analysis. Does this mean that, as designed, the pin lock connector has non-standard compression or non-standard oring requirements? Given its frequency of use, maybe it was designed with low compression for ease of connection? Of course the low compression results in a higher rate of poor seals and requires added attention to connector alignment.

"Standard" isn't an exact science and I could have slightly miss-measured the orings and post on my pin locks. Also the plastic connectors I have maybe off a bit as plastic is difficult to accurately manufacture, especially bores. The 16% is from my measuring of my parts. The true pin lock specification maybe 18%. Either way 16% is acceptable. I hope the 3mm work for you. It may be difficult to stretch them that far and as they stretch they will become harder so the connector may be difficult to put on, but you should get a good seal. That said silicone will make stretching easier.

Quick Reply