Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > McMaster Keg O-Ring List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 AM   #121
dmaxweb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcuzIminUT View Post
PIN LOCK POST O-RING SOLVED!!!

Okay, sorry for the yelling above, but I wanted to get your attention. After I switched my gas lines to reinforced lines and beer lines to 3/16” BevSeal (no more beer tasting like water from a garden hose), I developed frequent gas leaks and occasional beer leaks. The reinforced gas lines and BevSeal are much stiffer than the beer/gas lines most use, which caused the fitting to torque and twist. After losing several tanks of CO2, reading this entire post several times and many other posts, I decided to take a hit for the team. Here is what tried:

No. 1. -112 BUNA
No. 2. -112 Silicone
No. 3. 10mm (ID) X 16mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone
No. 4. 12mm (ID) X 17mm (OD) X 2.5mm (Diameter) Silicone
No. 5. 12mm (ID) X 18mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone
No. 6. 10mm (ID) X 17mm (OD) X 3.5mm (Diameter) Silicone

I decided to go with 10mm (ID) X 16mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone for the beer post and 12mm (ID) X 18mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone for the gas post. The inside diameter of Nos. 1 & 2 were too big. The 2.5mm diameter of No. 4 was too small for the groove, and I did not get a snug connection. The 3.5mm diameter of No. 6 was just too thick to fit in the groove.

No. 3 works well on the beer post; it takes a little stretching, but is nice and snug. No. 5 on the gas post is downright tight and takes a little wiggling to get it off. It may be too tight for some. I did not try 11mm (ID) X 17mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone because I could not find them in small quantities, but it is right between the two and may be just right. I also don’t know how well BUNA would work. It seems less stretchy to me and might make No. 3 too hard to get on the post and No. 5 too hard to get the connector on post. I’ll leave it someone else to try BUNA and 11mm (ID) X 17mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone.

I ordered small quantities on Amazon from here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008MKXQ9M/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1 (10 pcs. for $3.49 - 10mm (ID) X 16mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ASY3Y8/...M3T1_ST1_dp_i2 (10 pcs. for $3.47 - 12mm (ID) X 18mm (OD) X 3mm (Diameter) Silicone)
Larger quantities (and the 11x17x3 in silicone) can be purchased at http://www.oringsandmore.com/.

I welcome others to carry the torch from here and post their results. I’ve also attached a few photos.
No. 5 is on the left, a BUNA -111 (agreed ball lock size) in the middle, and No 3 on the right.

Has anyone tried the 11mm x 17mm x 3mm Buna for the pin lock posts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #122
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Well, just found a leak in my gas line from a slightly cocked gas QD with a poor-fitting o-ring. Is the general consensus for pin lock QDs to use the silicon 10mm x 16mm x 3mm o-ring? Has anyone tried the 11mm x 17mm x 3mm?

Thanks!!

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 AM   #123
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
Well, just found a leak in my gas line from a slightly cocked gas QD with a poor-fitting o-ring. Is the general consensus for pin lock QDs to use the silicon 10mm x 16mm x 3mm o-ring? Has anyone tried the 11mm x 17mm x 3mm?

Thanks!!
I see no need to go bigger then 10mm x 16mm x 3mm. It is plenty tight. Silicone is great or save some money and use Buna

Old 09-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #124
Mark_tries_brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just wanted to add that I have found lid o-rings that seem to seal reliably with or w/o pressure. http://www.mcmaster.com/#90025k551/=tv3mi3

I highly recommend them to anyone especially since I have had problems with some lids leaking when I drop the pressure to fill bottles form a keg. Please add these O-rings to the original post.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #125
KindofBlues71
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I removed and cleaned all the o-rings on my 2.5 gal ball lock keg and subsequently lost one of the universal poppet o-rings. I did some searching and found them for sale at Brooklyn Homebrew. There have been a few requests for the universal poppet o-ring size so here's the info according to Brooklyn Homebrew:

Universal Poppet O-ring
4mm ID x 6mm OD x 2mm Thickness, -35° to 250° F Temp Range

I'm not affiliated w/ Brooklyn Homebrew, just passing the info along. I did not order from them as I needed the o-ring ASAP and wound up buying a replacement poppet valve w/ o-ring from my LHBS.

Quick Reply