mcmaster carr shipping prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
I just ordered a stir bar and some silicon tubing form mcmaster carr today. I didn't realize it but they don't include tax or shipping on the price when you order it!! I think the total came out to 8.77. Can anyone tell me if their shipping charges are decent at all? I don't want to end up paying 20 dollars for these two small objects.

Their shipping prices are at cost, which is also very low due to the volume discounts they get. Granted I live in NJ and they ship from about 25 miles away (one of their locations) but lightning next day fedex (their choice, not mine) runs me $4-6 for a box of stuff..

I had the same concern with my first order from them. I was happy when I received the invoice and the shipping was fair. They are a great resource not only for homebrewers but other interests I have been involved with. My opinion is they will be fair with you.

You'll be fine, they have a warehouse in IL, so it'll be really cheap. Everything I've ordered from them has shipped out of IL and it's only been $3-6.

Any Canadians order from them? Do you ship Fedex or UPS? Is USPS an option? (We get raped on brokerage fees coming across the border when you use a courier).

I would have had my setup built 2 months ago if I lived in the US... ;)

Kal

I have ordered from them a few times, but I can't recall the carrier. You only have a choice of air or ground, IIRC.

None of the three or four orders I have done had duty or brokerage charged. The largest order was about $300.

That's awesome thanks so much everyone! I will definitely be ordering more from them

I have ordered from them a few times, but I can't recall the carrier. You only have a choice of air or ground, IIRC.

None of the three or four orders I have done had duty or brokerage charged. The largest order was about $300.

Fantastic. Good news for us Canucks.

Kal

I should have also emphasized that McMaster-Carr often will not ship to a residence in Canada. A number of people here have mentioned that their orders were declined for shipping reasons, especially if it was a rural address.

I have everything shipped to my work address and I have had no problem. They are a GREAT company to deal with.

Do you guys still order from McMaster Carr, and is their shipping still fair?
I used to order from them (long ago) and loved their service. I pretty sure they used to only charge their cost on UPS shipping, which was great. Has anyone got a recent order, and was the shipping reasonable (and about what). I just want to make sure they aren't trying to profit on shipping now, and I also know that UPS rates have gone up every year, and it adds up over time. Thanks!
PS. I know this is an old thread, but I thought it was worthy of an update. :)

Ive ben ordering from mcmaster carr for years and years thanks to my dozens of other hoppies in addition to brewing. Their shipping charges are always pretty decent. Unless I order something heavy or oversized, its usually about 5.50 shipped from NJ to long island.

You could always call them or email customer service and find out before you order. It drives me nuts they don't calculate shipping before the order is placed. Website is long overdue for an overhaul.

Ive ben ordering from mcmaster carr for years and years thanks to my dozens of other hoppies in addition to brewing. Their shipping charges are always pretty decent. Unless I order something heavy or oversized, its usually about 5.50 shipped from NJ to long island.

You could always call them or email customer service and find out before you order. It drives me nuts they don't calculate shipping before the order is placed. Website is long overdue for an overhaul.

Thanks for the reply. I used to order from them a lot for work, and they were always fair. Just wanted to make sure there hadn't been a "management change" or something like that where someone says, hey, lets make money on shipping!
I wish they could show shipping on the website (are they the only ones that don't), but maybe its cheaper if they charge you the actual cost instead of padding the estimate so they don't accidentally lose money.
Anyways, thanks... anyone else have a recent experience?

Back