New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mcmaster-Carr does not respect Canadians - don't waste your time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Huff360
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Any time I buy anything in US funds with my Canadian Visa, the currency exchange fee is passed on to me (in the form of a considerably higher-than-market exchange rate). As I understand it, the merchant still pays their 2% (or whatever) merchant fee, and that doesn't change simply because the cardholder pays his bill with Canadian funds every month.
I don't know about the big boys, but the few times I have used my tiny little merchant account to process a foreign card, they charged me the non-preferred rate, and an additional charge for "foreign transaction fee".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I haven't had any problems with them. I just have them ship to the Front Desk in Newport, VT, pop over and pick up the stuff and hope I get the customs guy that says "You aren't going to leave that in Canada, are you?" on the way back. I guess I should point out that I have been a US customer of theirs for years (half my brewery is put together with stuff from McMaster-Carr).

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
Sorry, it's not that simple. The seller can be held liable for "further export" that violates the law.
This is it in a nutshell. The US has certain import/export and trade restrictions with some countries (Cuba for example) that Canada doesn't. So they're covering their ass and their assets by choosing not to do business with Canada, and running the risk of their stuff going where our Government doesn't want it. Just because it may seem silly for the stuff you're ordering, they're an industrial supply company, not everything in their huge inventory can be considered so innocuous. Some of their stuff can help countries who we don't want them to, to achieve "Nuclear Independence."

So they're not going to do business with countries we have embargoes against, nor countries that don't have the same import/export policie.

There was something a couple years ago very similar. I can't remember which, but certain retailers (Maybe walmart, or maybe radio shack) was limiting multiple purchase sales of cheap trackfone type cellphones in cities with large Middle Eastern populations (such as Dearborn, Mi) because it turned out that some of those tracfones were ending up in Iraq wired into the i.e.d.s that were killing our troops.

There was a hullaboo when this happened, but the companies were in their rights, they didn't want to end up having their equipment used to kill Americans, nor did they want any families of wounded/killed GIs suing them.

Do you really think they hate Canucks? Are you that immature in your thinking? Don't you think they'd LOVE an entire country's worth of hard earned dollars to get? This is capitalism here, COMPANIES WANT YOUR MONEY. It's just not worth get into trouble with the US government over it....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Chugmaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post

Here is what I really don't understand about this entire situation...

If you could find the parts for less money at Amazon as you indicated, why were you going through McMaster-Carr in the first place?
Convenience. Searching for numerous parts takes time and the items need to come from multiple vendors. McMaster-Carr is a one-stop-shop.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
I don't know about the big boys, but the few times I have used my tiny little merchant account to process a foreign card, they charged me the non-preferred rate, and an additional charge for "foreign transaction fee".
Yeah, CC companies take a little on the front end, a little on the back end, and pretty much anywhere in between that they can insert a processing fee.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
Chugmaster
Recipes 

Regarding foreign transaction fees for Canadians using credit cards to make purchases in US funds, I've found that using Paypal (when available) and its conversion rate is usually cheaper than making a purchase with a credit card alone.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #27
jwwbrennan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Has anyone used the "How can we improve" link on top of the Master-Carr page?
If the 'Other' link on the USA|Other line went to a log in page rather than taking the foreign address details it would be a good clue things aren't going well. On first visit to a site I usually add an item to the basket and try processing it through to the end before getting too involved. It saves time and those damned looks straight out of Edvard Munch's The Scream when the tirade erupts.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think these threads show up about every 6 months around here and the companies that have no-export policies are always accused of disrespecting military or hating on Canadians. I think the last one was something like XX company doesn't support the troops. While I usually ship anywhere in the World, I recently refused an order from someone with a billing address in France with a shipping address to the Dominican Republic. Does this mean I hate French people? No. It just means that given the current state of my business, there are too many red flags to make a few bucks on this order. Risk/reward. It has nothing to do with personal opinion of the people ordering or "care".

Given Mcmaster's high end prices and huge B2B contracts, do you think they give a darn that a few bucks are lost to avoid legal issues?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
niagara47
Recipes 

their excuse a crock, there is some kind of back door deal with Canadian based sellers, like fastenal (to name one of many) who buy alot of their stuff from the same manufacturers, and are selling the same products here for 2 to 4 times the price here as macky carr is, with the offer of overnight delivery to anywhere in north america they were taking away alot of gravy from the greedy CDN suppliers, so some kind of deal was made through pressure somewhere in that food chain,

tell me why a coolant pump that was made in Canada cost 4 times more to buy in Canada than in the US

Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Taxes. All that 'free' stuff you get from the government has to be paid for somehow.

Quick Reply