Mash tun ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Ive been brewing a while now using my square cooler mash tun with pipe manifold bottom. It's getting old and I am thinking of upgrading. Of course I would like to go with something like a sabco brewmajic but cant afford / dont have the room for it.

That being said, I am thinking of just upgrading my mash tun for now. I only have one burner and I was thinking about getting a mash tun from morebeer, say a 15 gal or so. ( I do 5 gallon batches ). My question is, since I don't have a burner under the tun or any heat exhanger system, would it be possible to do this? I know I would have to insulate the thing but would it keep hot as would my usual cooler?

I just don't want to spend money on another cooler when what I really want is a real tun.

Thanks,
Dustin

OK, now I understand what you are asking. There are several ways to insulate a non-heated mash tun there are several threads here that discuss it. Search the DIY forum for "insulation" and you'll find plenty of ideas.

My solution is described in here, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/15-gallon-mlt-176701/.

Reflectix from your local hardware store is a popular item as well.

I use a keggle that is wrapped in a water heater insulation blanket (the kind that has reflective foil on both sides) and the aluminum HVAC tape. It works excellent and there is virtually no heat loss. my Mash Tun is also a bottom drain, tippy-dump with a 15" false bottom

Back