Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mash tun filter ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
creed24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash tun filter ideas

I'm a new brewer. I've only done one brew so far, a double simcoe IPA (AG) that is going to get bottled from secondary this Friday . I have already ordered more ingredients for a 2.5 gallon batch. My last one was a 5 gallon, I used my buddy's equipment. This time, I'm using most of my own equipment.

I have a pretty nice cooler, that's definitely big enough to fit all my grain. But I haven't installed a bazooka tube or manifold or anything, and I'm not really sure I want to. It worked good for the last batch, and I have the tools... I just think it might be simpler to lift the grain out rather than drain the wort.

My idea is to line the cooler with a fine, strong, non-corrosive wire mesh. After I let my mash sit for the hour or 90 minutes, I can just lift the grain out of the cooler by the mesh and pour the wort into the brewpot--being mindful not to oxidize my wort.

Has anybody tried this, particularly with a wheat brew? That's what I'm doing next, and I heard they tend to gum up and get stuck. I'm thinking of picking up some of this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1234 Times on 997 Posts

Try searching "BIAB"...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply