Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mash tun deadspace in a cooler with dome fasle bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
LOL...I read it totally differently, I thought he was saying that an extra quart of losses isn't really a problem rather then braid to FB upgrade is fixing what's not broke. At any rate, I still feel the same as my above post. I wouldn't do anything other then adjust my recipe. A quart of beer isn't a big loss.
I would agree it's not earth shattering, but why wouldn't you want to fine tune your system if within your means (financially or capability)? If your crush is too course, would you "adjust your recipe to account for a reduced efficiency, or take the time to adjust the mill rollers to get a crush to best suite your system? About 90% of the equipment that most of use have is not a "need to have" to simply make beer. We all adjust our set up to meet our own wants, and sometimes even our needs.......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
I would agree it's not earth shattering, but why wouldn't you want to fine tune your system if within your means (financially or capability)? If your crush is too course, would you "adjust your recipe to account for a reduced efficiency, or take the time to adjust the mill rollers to get a crush to best suite your system? About 90% of the equipment that most of use have is not a "need to have" to simply make beer. We all adjust our set up to meet our own wants, and sometimes even our needs.......
To each their own. He'll likely recover half of that lost quart, so you tell me, is that a good use of time or would he be better off dialing in his crush? That grainbed absorbs literally GALLONS of water, so he could also lightly push on the top of the grainbed when the tun is almost empty and regain that one pint of preboil wort as well.

If that's not what you'd do..or anyone else.... then just move on. I'm not interested in debating something so minor TBH. I think it's not broke, so I wouldn't fix it. Simple as that.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
I wouldn't do anything other then adjust my recipe. A quart of beer isn't a big loss.
There is some truth here, although it is not really a "quart" of beer, in reality it is a quart of final runnings from the tun, which are typically low gravity and not a heartbreaker to lose IMO.

I used a Coleman 48 qt years ago that had a ton of dead space, but I would double batch sparge and the final runnings were very low gravity...it worked fine.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHead73 View Post
Thanks for the help guys.
I had a brain fart and totally forgot about the tubing to keep the siphon going.

Brew for All
It sounds weird, but that will make an enormous difference. With a domed false bottom, and NO diptube under it, I have less than a cup or two of wort left when the tubing is hooked up.

A nice thing about a false bottom is you can choose fly sparging or batch sparging, or go back and forth (I still do!).

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Stand
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I see a lot of people talking about losing a quart of the last runnings, but I'd be more interested in the effect it's having on extraction rate.

It's been awhile since I did the research and built my mash tun (I use a manifold), but I do remember that channeling was more of a concern with SS screens than with a filtration system that is designed specifically for the shape of your mash tun.

I'm not sure how big a difference a false bottom will make over a SS screen, but there is going to be some gain in efficiency because the grain to left and right of a bazooka tube won't have as much water flowing past and dissolving sugars.

What I'm talking about is going to be marginal, but channeling will cut down on the efficiency of your mash, and it will be worse with fly sparging + bazooka tube.

I think the false bottom is a good upgrade.

Nice find at that price.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
To each their own. He'll likely recover half of that lost quart, so you tell me, is that a good use of time or would he be better off dialing in his crush? That grainbed absorbs literally GALLONS of water, so he could also lightly push on the top of the grainbed when the tun is almost empty and regain that one pint of preboil wort as well.

If that's not what you'd do..or anyone else.... then just move on. I'm not interested in debating something so minor TBH. I think it's not broke, so I wouldn't fix it. Simple as that.
hmmm.. ok - have moved on.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
There is some truth here, although it is not really a "quart" of beer, in reality it is a quart of final runnings from the tun, which are typically low gravity and not a heartbreaker to lose IMO.

I used a Coleman 48 qt years ago that had a ton of dead space, but I would double batch sparge and the final runnings were very low gravity...it worked fine.
Thanks for the correction. I did later reason out that he'd probably only lose a pint of preboil wort, but the fact that it's mostly low gravity runnings is pertinent and makes it even less of a concern.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Quick Reply