Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mash tun deadspace in a cooler with dome fasle bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
HopHead73
Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewsing, Hop Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Mash tun deadspace in a cooler with dome fasle bottom

So I have been using the stainless steel braided hose in my mash tun, which is a 10gallon Rubbermaid cooler, with great success. My deadspace was less then .25gallons and it filtered the mash just fine.

Now I got a great deal on a domed false bottom from Kegworks, $6.04 which included shipping!
It's only a .5" high and doing some math it would seem that the deadspace should only be .27gallons, yet I just filled it up and let it drained and it left .5gallon in the cooler.

Does this seem right to other that have used the domed false bottom in a cooler?

Would soldering a small length of copper pipe to the hole on the bottom so it reaches down to the bottom of the cooler sound like a good idea so it will suck up as much wort as possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You bet. Just make sure to leave enough space so you don't restrict the flow.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1139 Times on 924 Posts

Did you just open the ball valve on your tun and let it drain, or did you hook up a few feet of tubing to the ball valve for the siphon effect?

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHead73 View Post
Would soldering a small length of copper pipe to the hole on the bottom so it reaches down to the bottom of the cooler sound like a good idea so it will suck up as much wort as possible?
I have a right angle fitting on my FB which goes through the hole in the middle - it's 3/8 barb on the top side and 1/2 MIP on the bottom. I removed the nut on the bottom side and replaced it with a sawed off piece of 1/2 SS coupling. I sawed the coupling in two pieces, about 60%/40%, but can't remember which piece I used. The coupling comes down to within about 1/8 inch of the bottom of the cooler. I used teflon tape on the right angle MIP threads for a good seal. And like day_trippr said, you need a piece of tubing on the output to keep the siphon going - I also like to keep the output end of that tubing submerged when I get down close to the end just to make sure no air gets in from the outside to break the siphon.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
So I have been using the stainless steel braided hose in my mash tun, which is a 10gallon Rubbermaid cooler, with great success. My deadspace was less then .25gallons and it filtered the mash just fine.
Classic fixing something that aint broke example.

Please report back on the performance of the FB versus the braid as this will be a true comparison rather than the usual hearsay..."mine is better" commentary....thanks and cheers!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
jbaysurfer Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
HopHead73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help guys.
I had a brain fart and totally forgot about the tubing to keep the siphon going.
Even with that though I feel as if the deadspace would still be more then my liking, so I'm definitely going to try soldering on a piece of copper pipe to the bottom as a little dip tube to get those last few liters of wort out.
So I guess I'll still be using my stainless steel braid for tomorrow's brew session though, and yes it ain't broke, but how could I pass up a pricing screw up on Amazon for a false bottom. They accidentally listed it for 2cents and $6.02 for shipping, so the whole thing only cost me $6.04!

I'll report back once I get the false bottom up and running and I compare my results against the SS braid.

Brew for All

Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
....but how could I pass up a pricing screw up on Amazon for a false bottom. They accidentally listed it for 2cents and $6.02 for shipping, so the whole thing only cost me $6.04!
Oh yea, I understand how that works, also as the price goes down I buy in greater quantity irregardless of need! So how many hundred did you buy?

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
HopHead73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Oh yea, I understand how that works, also as the price goes down I buy in greater quantity irregardless of need! So how many hundred did you buy?
I put in for 10 and they would only ship me 1 hahaha
They changed the price in a matter of a few minutes, but honored 1 order for all who ordered at the low price.
Check out the twitter account @homebrewfinds, they are always finding great deals like this. (Also has a website, www.homebrewfinds.com)

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Classic fixing something that aint broke expample.

Please report back on the performance of the FB versus the braid as this will be a true comparison rather than the usual hearsay..."mine is better" commentary....thanks and cheers!
I agree with this. Just plan on an extra quart of equipment losses and you're all set! If you are hell bent on getting that quart back and do the solder thing...make sure you use a lead free solder and flux!

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 681

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.
I had a brain fart and totally forgot about the tubing to keep the siphon going.
Even with that though I feel as if the deadspace would still be more then my liking, so I'm definitely going to try soldering on a piece of copper pipe to the bottom as a little dip tube to get those last few liters of wort out.
So I guess I'll still be using my stainless steel braid for tomorrow's brew session though, and yes it ain't broke, but how could I pass up a pricing screw up on Amazon for a false bottom. They accidentally listed it for 2cents and $6.02 for shipping, so the whole thing only cost me $6.04!

I'll report back once I get the false bottom up and running and I compare my results against the SS braid.

Brew for All
LOL...I read it totally differently, I thought he was saying that an extra quart of losses isn't really a problem rather then braid to FB upgrade is fixing what's not broke. At any rate, I still feel the same as my above post. I wouldn't do anything other then adjust my recipe. A quart of beer isn't a big loss.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Quick Reply