Mash tun with auto-stirring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janx

Reaction score
Do any of you guys with fancy systems have mash tuns with motorized paddles or somesuch to stir the mash? Can you describe your setup if you do? Anyone know of any prebuilt solutions for this one?

Seems like it would take a hell of a motor...

Cheers :D

i have been contemplating a mash motor stirrer.

with the grain hopper addition i did a few days ago - having a motor to stir the mash as i dropped in the grain from the hopper would be kickin'

I bet you could work something up from an ice cream maker. They have the torque to work a stiff mix.

There are pics i will try to find, where people do convert icecream machine heads to stir. But that is usually on the Boil Kettle. I would not think you would want to stir the mash tun, becuase you want the bed to settle and act as a filter.

I'm pretty new to AG, but why would you want to stir it..... seems like that would be the last thing you would want to do....

at some point you've gotta make oatmeal :D and to do that you gotta stir

Back before I went to batch sparging, I stirred the mash to prevert the formation of channels in the grains bed. The pros just stir the top of the bed, but they have deeper beds. Now, I stir after each water addition and re-circulate until clear.

In my case, I use a steam ring at the bottom of my MLT for step infusions. Stirring helps make consistent temperature through the mash. During the rest at 168f, no stirring is done and the bed has time to settle and prepare to act as a filter. I don't stir while sparging.
I would love to see the answers to Janx question and see some pics or links to a stirrer. Sorry I couldn't provide that myself Janx. Just wanted to state that stirring can be a benefit. The ice cream makers sound like a good place to start.

Back