Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mash Pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
VladOfTrub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Let's see, your "pot" can weigh a ton. So, you're mashing about 500 pounds of grain, with say, 1.5 qt. H2O/lb.? Since you're dealing with that much grain and no doubt, a seasoned professional, using a fine "pot". Buy an auger drive designed for moving mash. Used, they start at about 3 grand. Of course, you'll need to weld all kind of gizmonics to the "pot" to make it work. Now, if you wanna be a Wanna Be Rube Goldberg. You can remove the auger assembly from a junked 1500 lb. per day, Scotsman ice flaker. Replace the shaft seal with a high temp B&G stainless pump seal. Replace both bearings with Fafnir sealed high temp ones. You'll need to have the shaft and auger barrel milled to accept the seal. The inlet and outlet of the assembly is 2". You'll need to weld a couple of stainless flanges on the ports. You can chop off the refrigerant pipes as you'll not be using that part of the auger. The pipes can be used to fashion a toilet paper roller or wind chimes. Then, bugger up your "pot" with some 2", 4 or 8 bolt stainless flanges and bolt the auger to it. You'll need to replace the drive motor with a reversible motor. The entire assembly weighs about 200 lbs. You may be under 1.5 grand when it's all done. A peristaltic will move mash. One with big enough ports isn't cheap. I tri-decoction everything I brew. My grain bill is only 20-25 lb. I use a 15 gallon tri-clad on a burner, for a mash tun. I use a stainless pitcher to move the mash to a 5 gallon tri-clad decoction kettle or to the lautertun. It's not all that bad. But, I'm not in the big league using a 500 pound grain bill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

On the cheap, I would probably buy something like a winch on a swivel that could lower a bucket into the mash. Not a perfect solution as you would have to push the grains into the bucket somehow.

But what if you were to put a pre-measured fraction of your grains into BIAB bags... Then just fish out those specific bags to do your decoction, using a hoist/ winch to lift them? Maybe add a little bit of wort to the mostly dry grains that you'd be pulling out.

You could even submerge something like a 55gallon SS kettle directly into your mash, then pull it out, rinse the bottom, heat it, then dump it.

I am not saying it would work, just throwing out some thoughts here.

Were you being literal when you said "a ton"? Give us an actual volume and I bet the smart folks here can come up with a decent alternative to expensive augers.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
Let's see, your "pot" can weigh a ton. So, you're mashing about 500 pounds of grain, with say, 1.5 qt. H2O/lb.? Since you're dealing with that much grain and no doubt, a seasoned professional, using a fine "pot". Buy an auger drive designed for moving mash. Used, they start at about 3 grand. Of course, you'll need to weld all kind of gizmonics to the "pot" to make it work. Now, if you wanna be a Wanna Be Rube Goldberg. You can remove the auger assembly from a junked 1500 lb. per day, Scotsman ice flaker. Replace the shaft seal with a high temp B&G stainless pump seal. Replace both bearings with Fafnir sealed high temp ones. You'll need to have the shaft and auger barrel milled to accept the seal. The inlet and outlet of the assembly is 2". You'll need to weld a couple of stainless flanges on the ports. You can chop off the refrigerant pipes as you'll not be using that part of the auger. The pipes can be used to fashion a toilet paper roller or wind chimes. Then, bugger up your "pot" with some 2", 4 or 8 bolt stainless flanges and bolt the auger to it. You'll need to replace the drive motor with a reversible motor. The entire assembly weighs about 200 lbs. You may be under 1.5 grand when it's all done. A peristaltic will move mash. One with big enough ports isn't cheap. I tri-decoction everything I brew. My grain bill is only 20-25 lb. I use a 15 gallon tri-clad on a burner, for a mash tun. I use a stainless pitcher to move the mash to a 5 gallon tri-clad decoction kettle or to the lautertun. It's not all that bad. But, I'm not in the big league using a 500 pound grain bill.
Im not sure what breweries you've been to/worked at, but the one I trained at and worked/working at dont use auger drive system to move grain/wort. Besides that would be extremely unsanitary, you'd never get the proper volume, you cant push wort with an auger system, and if that did somehow work, how'd you get it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewThruYou View Post
I think you are trying to create a solution to a problem that no one else has...for a reason. How much are you decocting? You shouldn't be decocting the entire mash, so you shouldn't need to lift a full MT/MLT.
1.5bbl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
On the cheap, I would probably buy something like a winch on a swivel that could lower a bucket into the mash. Not a perfect solution as you would have to push the grains into the bucket somehow.

But what if you were to put a pre-measured fraction of your grains into BIAB bags... Then just fish out those specific bags to do your decoction, using a hoist/ winch to lift them? Maybe add a little bit of wort to the mostly dry grains that you'd be pulling out.

You could even submerge something like a 55gallon SS kettle directly into your mash, then pull it out, rinse the bottom, heat it, then dump it.

I am not saying it would work, just throwing out some thoughts here.

Were you being literal when you said "a ton"? Give us an actual volume and I bet the smart folks here can come up with a decent alternative to expensive augers.
No, not literal.

Besides this threads a year old, I got a pump and got it working. Thanks for the suggestion though, I was thinking of a hoist system.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
Besides this threads a year old, I got a pump and got it working. Thanks for the suggestion though, I was thinking of a hoist system.
I must have been a sleep , missed your thread
I am glad you got it working.
Many small pumps with flexible impellers can pump grain.
My mash pump is the second pump

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
worstbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So what pump did you end up using? Would love to at least have it documented somewhere since I hope to do the same thing down the road. Cheers!

Primary: Empty :(
Brewing soon: Munich Dunkel

Old 10-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Climber
Recipes 

Claudius, can you point me in the direction of where to get a pump like that?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Claudius, can you point me in the direction of where to get a pump like that?
Sent PM

Mine is a Teel centrifugal pump with an open impeller type, can handle max 3/8" solid material.
Grainger model Dayton #2ZXR8

Johnson Pumps is a good source of flexible impeller pumps if you require one.
http://www.johnson-pump.com/JPIndustry/Impeller_Pumps/Impeller_generalSPX.htm

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Quick Reply