LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #61
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So, I'm having a problem getting my carboys totally clean. I'll fill up the base with hot water+PBW and let it run through the carboy for 20+ minutes, but I'm left with this ring around the top part of the carboy. It happens on all of them--6 gallon better bottles and 6 1/2 gallon glass carboys.

Any helpful hints? Ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #62
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sounds like you need to use more PBW. I'm not sure what effect soft or hard water would have on the cleaning power of PBW but with very hard tap water I use about 1-2 tbsp per fillup of the keg washer and hot tap water. Works like a charm.

-kincade

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #63
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've been using water that goes through a water softener--I would think with softer water I'd be able to use my normal hot water to PBW ratio, but I'll try using more.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #64
rockethacker
Recipes 

i've been using this wonderful machine for about 2 months now and can't be any happier. here are my observations

The good:

• relatively cheap. To build you own with the same quality of parts and features, you're only paying about a $20 premium. The inclusion of specialty fittings is a huge plus! If you build you own and break something, it automatically costs more than this unit. let's face it, if you could afford a kegging system, you can afford this.
  • it works out of the box. no tweaking required. it starts saving you time immediately (and that is the whole reason you bought the thing)
  • saves you money by only using a gallon of solution (PBW, starsan, etc). because of this, it should pay for itself in just a few years. potentially uses a bit less than a home built system
  • small footprint. good new for us with limited space.
  • small part count. only 3 main parts to transport, assemble, clean, etc.
  • cleans glass carboys really well. i've intentionally put some really dirty things in there and with enough PBW and time they've always come clean (with zero extra work from me). because of this product, i've completely switched to glass carboys
  • cleans kegs really well. i used to devote hours to cleaning kegs. now i clean them in parallel on a brew day.
The bad:
  • because of the small volume of solution used, you'll need to change it often when cleaning really dirty stuff. this is an expected side effect. i'm willing to live with it.
  • when full of water, can be a little flimsy when carrying it across the room. this is worse when you use really hot water. i don't think that it needs a drain because it is a rather small volume and it is easy to carry. It is not flimsy enough to be called cheap, just flimsy enough to spill water and create a mess
  • not sure if it saves money in the long term. with the time saved, i'm just drinking more, brewing more and buying more things...

add-ons i'd pay extra for:

Old 04-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #65
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Anyone know where to find the Serial Number on the Mark II? I have to remember to send in the warranty card and can't find the SN.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #66
jdrollason
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
Anyone know where to find the Serial Number on the Mark II? I have to remember to send in the warranty card and can't find the SN.
It should be on the pump.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #67
cino101
Recipes 

I contacted Mark but he was unaware if this would work on 10 and 15 gal corny kegs. I went ahead and purchased one any way. Will report back with my findings later in the week when I get it.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #68
cino101
Recipes 

Ok tested this out today on a crusty 10 gal corny which was used for fermentation. Did a pre rinse to dump the cake and just sprayed the inside with hot water to pre clean it. The vessel sits well on the stand, was comfortable walking away from it while it cleaned. 15 min of oxi clean water almost cleanned it completly, next time I will hit it with a brush before using this washer. Think this product will be great for sanitizing on brew day. Way less water has to be used, no longer have to dump and waste 7-8gal of sanitized water on brew day.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #69
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockethacker View Post
i've been using this wonderful machine for about 2 months now and can't be any happier. here are my observations

The good:
  • relatively cheap. To build you own with the same quality of parts and features, you're only paying about a $20 premium. The inclusion of specialty fittings is a huge plus! If you build you own and break something, it automatically costs more than this unit. let's face it, if you could afford a kegging system, you can afford this.
  • it works out of the box. no tweaking required. it starts saving you time immediately (and that is the whole reason you bought the thing)
  • saves you money by only using a gallon of solution (PBW, starsan, etc). because of this, it should pay for itself in just a few years. potentially uses a bit less than a home built system
  • small footprint. good new for us with limited space.
  • small part count. only 3 main parts to transport, assemble, clean, etc.
  • cleans glass carboys really well. i've intentionally put some really dirty things in there and with enough PBW and time they've always come clean (with zero extra work from me). because of this product, i've completely switched to glass carboys
  • cleans kegs really well. i used to devote hours to cleaning kegs. now i clean them in parallel on a brew day.
The bad:
  • because of the small volume of solution used, you'll need to change it often when cleaning really dirty stuff. this is an expected side effect. i'm willing to live with it.
  • when full of water, can be a little flimsy when carrying it across the room. this is worse when you use really hot water. i don't think that it needs a drain because it is a rather small volume and it is easy to carry. It is not flimsy enough to be called cheap, just flimsy enough to spill water and create a mess
  • not sure if it saves money in the long term. with the time saved, i'm just drinking more, brewing more and buying more things...

add-ons i'd pay extra for:
I did build my own for about $10 as I already had a pump ( the Pump is available from harbor Freight for about $14). I use a 5 gal bucket and have both a gray and black cornelius keg connector on at the same time. I like my own build and I made another so I can rinse with tap water.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #70
HydroRamPac
Recipes 

Will the Mark 2 handle cleaning 15 gallon Sanke Kegs?

Quick Reply