Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mark 2 Keg Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #41
culaslucas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

FYI - I wrote Mark and here is his response:

Quote:
1.) When attempting to attach the 3/16" hose to the tee that goes to the ball lock connector, without overt pressure, I twisted the connection off - see picture below. This resulted in a $10 home improvement store run even before getting started.

The vendor used low quality HDPE without my knowing it, there are appearently several grades of hdpe, I am having them run a batch in higher quality HDPE and also in Nylon. A few guys have reported this problem. If you keep the unit, send me your address and I will replace the one that broke.

2.) SPLASHING. holy. splashing. Over the course of PBWing the above items, I lost 1/2 gallon of liquid. It got so bad that I had to place a large tupperware lid under the keg washer to catch all of the excess fluid. This device would be a lot better off if the lip was about an inch taller. Per the instructions I added the shrub sprinkler with no noticeable change.

Some of the bigger buckets that go right up to the edge will spash over the edge depending on how the bottom of the bucket is formed. The sprinker head worked on the ones I tested. You might also try reducing the pump flow by partially closing the input to the pump. Some buckets are just going to splash no matter what I do. Buckets are fairly easy to clean by hand, carboys and kegs are where the keg and carboy washer really does the job. Did you lose the 1/2 gallon mostly on the bucket? Was the 1/2 gallon lost after all the items mentioned (8 corny kegs, etc)? The unit is really not designed to clean that many items in a row, although, I guess you could. It is really meant to be used while brewing, like sanitizing a keg, then cleaning a carboy. My whole idea was to make setup and use so easy that dirty stuff would not pile up to be cleaned later. If you were cleaning a bunch of stuff like that, I'd just do that in the utility room or the back patio and anticipate some splashing.

3.) No drain? Seriously? You're right, it's not THAT difficult of a job to tilt the thing out into a bucket but after a few instances of spilling I found myself siphoning. I promptly ran to Lowes and installed my own drain solution.
I designed it not to have a drain, leak considerations. I made it light enough to just dump out. I will probably never break even on this unit, getting plastic injection molds are very expensive. A drain would have cost about $10,000 in addtional mold costs. A drain in the side would not have completely drained the unit and people would have complained about that, so I couldn't win on that one either way. At less than 7 pounds full of water, I did not see it coming that people would want a drain so badly. I just take the carboy and stand off, rinse the pump and then dump the dirty liquid in the sink and rinse it off all at the same time.

In hindsight I wish I would have built my own, saved a fair amount of cash and got a product I was comfortable would do such a simple job.

Sorry you are so unhappy with the unit, go ahead and return it to more beer, they will be very happy to refund your money. Lots of guys make their own keg washers. Check you tube for lots of examples. I made this unit for people who did not want to go to the trouble of building their own, but it's not for everybody. Also, I have never taken a sump pump apart, so not sure what is inside and if it will stay as clean as I wanted it to. Most of the do-it-yourself stuff uses a sump pump.
Thanks for your feed back

Cheers,

Mark
and mine...

Quote:
Mark,

Thank you for your prompt reply. For the record, I am not "so unhappy" that I am interested in returning the product. I was simply concerned with the quality of product I got for the money.

I am rather satisfied with your response and candor. I simply wanted to get a sense of what can be done to remedy the challenges I am having from a pro. It is rather unusual to be able to speak with the proprietor directly and your reply is much appreciated. The high level of customer service you provide will go a long way in communities like HomeBrewTalk.com.

I look forward to the updates that will help make the product more complete.

Best Regards,
--
Lucas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #42
jdrollason
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does anyones pumps make a crackle like sound when it starts up. Finally got mine, and ran it with water and OxyClean. Crackle Crackle Crackle, and then it pushes an awesome stream of steady water, with no more sounds other than the traditional sound of a pump moving water. My water level is good. I even ran it in my sink with more than enough water, still get the crackles. I e-mailed Mark, and am waiting for his reply.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #43
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes - I have this too. Also, there have been several times when plugging it in does nothing. Unplug, plug in, nothing, unplug, plug in, nothing, unplug, plug in - boom, it starts up.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #44
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The 'crackle' sound is the water/fluid priming throughout the pump. All similar pumps should make this sound. Even the pond pumps will sound the same.

If the pump isn't working, that's either the pump or the outlet and not related to the sound.

-kincade

Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #45
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Mark's keg washer is on deal of the day at Morebeer today. 13 left at this time.

-kincade

Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #46
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I got one woot. I also had built my own. But between trying to make too many connections to clean too many things, and instability, I broke down and ordered this one. 89 shipped is crazy. First keg washer looked much better though, but I think this one will do fine and I can use my current pump to recirc an icebath for wort chilling!

Thanks mark!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
oakbarn

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

We obtained a "free dishwasher" and cut it in half. I screwed and siliconed the door. I wired up two switches in a waterproof box to the side. I plumbed Ball lock gas and beer out to the drain ( as well as a garden hose connection). I did hot glue closed the out side holes in the central spray assembly, We can clean our 27 Gallon Stout conical as well as a 45 gallon Stout Mash Tun with ease. Cost about $50. Larger footprint but will clean more things. It also does not splash. Uses about 2 gallons of PBW!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #48
strumke
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
We obtained a "free dishwasher" and cut it in half. I screwed and siliconed the door. I wired up two switches in a waterproof box to the side. I plumbed Ball lock gas and beer out to the drain ( as well as a garden hose connection). I did hot glue closed the out side holes in the central spray assembly, We can clean our 27 Gallon Stout conical as well as a 45 gallon Stout Mash Tun with ease. Cost about $50. Larger footprint but will clean more things. It also does not splash. Uses about 2 gallons of PBW!
Sounds like a beast...photos???

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #49
Jazong
Recipes 

What about a connection for the gas side. To me this is a glaring design flaw that should be fixed in a subsequent model.

-J

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #50
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazong View Post
What about a connection for the gas side. To me this is a glaring design flaw that should be fixed in a subsequent model.

-J
I use a simple "t" and a qd for both the liquid and gas sides. I wouldnt call it a flaw as some dont want to clean the gas side and for those who do a "t" and a qd are the only additions. My "t" cost less than a dollar.

-kincade

Quick Reply