Originally Posted by kincade View Post
Man, those went fast!!!!
They went out in under 5 minutes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #32
bastardbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wow!! I cant believe I even got one, I must have just have checked the website at the right minute.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #33
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Okay - after trying mine on a carboy, 8 cornys, 1 better bottle and 5 buckets, I have some feedback.

I am somewhat disappointed in this $70 (with discount) product.

A few thoughts:

1.) When attempting to attach the 3/16" hose to the tee that goes to the ball lock connector, without overt pressure, I twisted the connection off - see picture below. This resulted in a $10 home improvement store run even before getting started.

2.) SPLASHING. holy. splashing. Over the course of PBWing the above items, I lost 1/2 gallon of liquid. It got so bad that I had to place a large tupperware lid under the keg washer to catch all of the excess fluid. This device would be a lot better off if the lip was about an inch taller. Per the instructions I added the shrub sprinkler with no noticeable change.

3.) No drain? Seriously? You're right, it's not THAT difficult of a job to tilt the thing out into a bucket but after a few instances of spilling I found myself siphoning. I promptly ran to Lowes and installed my own drain solution.

In hindsight I wish I would have built my own, saved a fair amount of cash and got a product I was comfortable would do such a simple job.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #34
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by culaslucas View Post
Okay - after trying mine on a carboy, 8 cornys, 1 better bottle and 5 buckets, I have some feedback.

I am somewhat disappointed in this $70 (with discount) product.

A few thoughts:

1.) When attempting to attach the 3/16" hose to the tee that goes to the ball lock connector, without overt pressure, I twisted the connection off - see picture below. This resulted in a $10 home improvement store run even before getting started.

2.) SPLASHING. holy. splashing. Over the course of PBWing the above items, I lost 1/2 gallon of liquid. It got so bad that I had to place a large tupperware lid under the keg washer to catch all of the excess fluid. This device would be a lot better off if the lip was about an inch taller. Per the instructions I added the shrub sprinkler with no noticeable change.

3.) No drain? Seriously? You're right, it's not THAT difficult of a job to tilt the thing out into a bucket but after a few instances of spilling I found myself siphoning. I promptly ran to Lowes and installed my own drain solution.

In hindsight I wish I would have built my own, saved a fair amount of cash and got a product I was comfortable would do such a simple job.

Culas; I"d recommend you email Mark ASAP and I'm sure he will address your issues. I know your #1 is in the process of being remedied already. I had no such problem but I'm aware of a few others that have.

Regarding #2, I've never had mine spash. At all. Not with a carboy, not with a keg. Maybe you have the fill level too high?

Regarding #3, I also would like a drain. But Mark made the point that a drain means something could leak, which could damage something should a gallon of PBW drain out while unattended. Since its so easy to lift and dump I don't consider it to be much of an issue at all.

-kincade

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #35
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I built my own keg washer with a 6.5 gallon bucket, a cheap 1HP sump pump from Harbor Freight, and a few PVC fittings. It works VERY well and I also added QD hookups for the gas and liquid dip tubes to blast them out while the wand is spraying. I cleaned out about 10 kegs with it the other day while I was doing some other stuff in the garage. Just a gallon of hot PBW solution and left them on there for maybe 5 minutes each, and they come out looking absolutely pristine no matter how grimy they were before.
Please post some pics of your unit and build photos if you have them.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #36
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Culas; I"d recommend you email Mark ASAP and I'm sure he will address your issues. I know your #1 is in the process of being remedied already. I had no such problem but I'm aware of a few others that have.

Regarding #2, I've never had mine spash. At all. Not with a carboy, not with a keg. Maybe you have the fill level too high?

Regarding #3, I also would like a drain. But Mark made the point that a drain means something could leak, which could damage something should a gallon of PBW drain out while unattended. Since its so easy to lift and dump I don't consider it to be much of an issue at all.
Thanks Kincade, I'll e-mail mark to get his feedback.

With regards to the spilling, it happened most often with the 6.5 gallon buckets. This wasn't a result of the fill level being too high (as I did experiment with various amounts of liquid), but can likely be attributed to too high pressure causing the water to flow around the lips of the container and out of the catch pan.

I didn't notice this before but now that I look at the pump, it seems I could adjust the flow by turning the front inlet closed?

This being said, I believe this issue could be resolved by increasing the height of the lip above the catch pan.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #37
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by culaslucas View Post
Thanks Kincade, I'll e-mail mark to get his feedback.

With regards to the spilling, it happened most often with the 6.5 gallon buckets. This wasn't a result of the fill level being too high (as I did experiment with various amounts of liquid), but can likely be attributed to too high pressure causing the water to flow around the lips of the container and out of the catch pan.

I didn't notice this before but now that I look at the pump, it seems I could adjust the flow by turning the front inlet closed?

This being said, I believe this issue could be resolved by increasing the height of the lip above the catch pan.
Yes, you can turn the flow down on the pump, although I usually leave it full open for kegs and carboys... Buckets might warrant a slower flow though.

I can tell you that Mark was very responsive to the few minor problems I had with my unit and solved them immediately. He is currently working on a few long term fixes for a few issues (the barb for instance) that to my knowledge should have fixes in a few weeks.

I'll probably put a drain in mine as well, just because I use mine in a laundry sink and it would be very convenient to drain it there. I'm thinking one of the grommets like you would find in a baby bathtub.

-kincade

Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #38
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'll post some pictures of mine at some point.

My other mod at some point might be to add in a heater of sorts. I stuck one of these jobbers below in a very small bromex beaker on a piece of tile to keep the water warm as the recirculation causes the temp to drop very quickly. It worked nicely but I was definitely watching it like a hawk because of the possibility of melting.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #39
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The heater is a great idea... I really like that.

-kincade

Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #40
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
The heater is a great idea... I really like that.
Thanks - I've googled around a bit and haven't found anything that would work for this particular application. I'm all ears for ideas!

EDIT: I'm thinking an aquarium heater would work - the challenge is that most I've seen are either a.) too big or b.) don't go beyond 94* or so.

Quick Reply