Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mark 2 Keg Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignifiedb View Post
Quick question for those with the Mark II, what are the steps you use to clean and sanitize. Right now (without the Mark II) I rinse the keg or carboy with water, then use OxyClean, then StarSan. Would you follow the same process?

Starsan would foam too much.

I run one batch of pbw, 2-3 of water, then fill with starsan and pump out with co2 to my next corny.

-kincade

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #22
dignifiedb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post
Starsan would foam too much.

I run one batch of pbw, 2-3 of water, then fill with starsan and pump out with co2 to my next corny.
Ah, didn't think about the problem that foaming would cause. So you just take the dirty keg/carboy, put it on the keg washer, and run PBW. Then, after ____ amount of time you rinse with water, remove from the keg washer, and fill with starsan?

I'm really leaning towards getting this, as I think it would just save me time. And, if I can catch this on sale at MoreBeer again, $90 is definitely worth the time it would save me. With a wife and two kids, being able to set the keg on the washer and then tend to other matters while it cleans would be a godsend.

Keg 1: Oatmeal Cookie Stout
Keg 2: Citra Pale Ale
Keg 3: Grapefruit Rye Pale Ale
Keg 4: empty
Fermenting: Fresh Squeezed IPA
On deck: Black IPA

Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Ah, didn't think about the problem that foaming would cause. So you just take the dirty keg/carboy, put it on the keg washer, and run PBW. Then, after ____ amount of time you rinse with water, remove from the keg washer, and fill with starsan?
I run the dirty keg with PBW for say 15-20 minutes while I do something else. If I have another keg, I use the same solution for that and repeat.

Then drain PBW, fill with hot water, rinse for a few minutes. Drain, repeat 1-2x.

If you want to sanitize on the Keg Washer, I'd use Iodaphor. I like to store my kegs full of CO2 so I push my starsan from one keg to another to sanitize, then they're ready to use next time I want one.

Quote:
I'm really leaning towards getting this, as I think it would just save me time. And, if I can catch this on sale at MoreBeer again, $90 is definitely worth the time it would save me. With a wife and two kids, being able to set the keg on the washer and then tend to other matters while it cleans would be a godsend.
You just missed it on sale again at Morebeer (1/7). It will likely be a while before they do it a third time.

-kincade

Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #24
MarkII
Recipes 

Hey Everybody,

Mark at Mark's Keg Washer again.

I just wanted to thank everybody for all the great feedback, you have given me a lot of great ideas, and I really like the positive feedback.

I think my first project will be a rubber grommet type thing to put on the keg washer stand. That will give it some non-slip action and also give some elevation so the 6.5 gallon carboys will fit better. I found one of my carboys wasnt completely symetrical and tended to slide to one side if left alone or bumped.

I am also working on a retro-fit for the clips to make them a lot stronger. As a test, I removed the clips from a unit and set a carboy on it, it holds even without the clips, but if bumped it, it would definately fall over. Make sure all the clips are engaged and if you have to bend the clips in to make them engage better, that's fine. This plastic is really flexible and strong. It tends to bend rather than break.

If you guys have a keg washer, be sure to fill out the warranty card and I will send you the mods as they become available. There is a long lead time on this stuff, so it will probably be a few months. Getting plastic injection molds modified takes a lot of time and money like you wouldn't believe.

I am very happy with the keg washer as is, but a few tweaks will definately make it even better.

Thanks a lot. I can always be reached at mark@kegwasher.com

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by MarkII; 02-08-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #25
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:

It is nice. I built one once for like $60 in parts and about 6 hours of standing around home depot trying to find what I needed and putting it together (I am not that handy). Then after 18 months the pump went out so I got one of these. Love it. I'll batch up stuff to clean (you want to rinse out the carboys with water right after you empty them to get most of the stuff out) and clean a bunch during a brew day. Just switch out what is on there every 30-60 minutes for a better bottle or 10 minutes for a keg.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey everyone, the Mark keg washer is up right now on morebeer for $79 shipped!

http://morebeer.com/

It''ll likely be sold out soon, so act fast if you want one.

-kincade

Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post
Hey everyone, the Mark keg washer is up right now on morebeer for $79 shipped!

http://morebeer.com/

It''ll likely be sold out soon, so act fast if you want one.
Got one! Looking forward to finally cleaning out the 10 or so kegs I've been neglecting!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #28
bastardbrewer
Recipes 

Just orderd up my keg washer today from morebeer, got lots of cornys to cleen.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Man, those went fast!!!!

-kincade

Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BTW, I've been talking to Mark about a few people's concerns addressed earlier in this thread. I have to say that I've rarely dealt with a company so responsive to suggestions and concerns. Rest assured that any problems you may have with the Kegwasher would be promptly dealt with.

-kincade

Quick Reply