Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March pump wont pump high temperatures. above 190...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
rshosted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default March pump wont pump high temperatures. above 190...

I had a problem in the middle of a brew yesterday. I was using the march pump to push my sparge water up to the sparge arm. I noticed my sparge was a little cold, so I turned up the temperature of the sparge water. It got up to about 190-200 and the water would stop pumping. I took the head apart and everything looked good. I put it back together and the pump did not work. The water cooled to 185 and the pump worked again. It was pushing very strong again. As soon as I turned the water pressure back up, boom no work again.... any ideas on this?

Just a few notes: the pump worked very well below 185. I am using 1/2 line and was not pushing much head (5' or so). Primed the pump well with a good feed line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'm assuming the pump is still spinning, but not moving anything? The pump is probably cavitating at higher temperatures and trying to push steam around doesn't work well. Some times you can restrict the output flow (increasing back pressure) and reduce the cavitation. The other alternative is to mount the pump lower to increase the input pressure.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You have to limit the flow rate as david mentioned. I can pump up to 210F with a restricted output. Once you hit boiling, you have to kill the flame to be able to pump because boil bubbles will start collecting in your siphon tube and you will lose prime in the pump.

Essentially what is happening is you're creating a slight vacuum on the pump input line and liquid boils at a cooler temp under vacuum.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

How do people recirculate during the last 15 minutes of a boil then to clean a CFC? I thought this was common practice and one advantage I am really looking forward to when incorporating my 809.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The pump is cavitating at the higher temperatures. Increasing the positive head on the suction side of the pump (ie mounting the pump lower) will help to mitigate the problem, but I don't think restricting the output flow would be a good idea at all. I've found that it's best that all hoses and fittings have a minimum ID of 1/2" (equal to or greater than the pump inlet ID). Check the inside diameter of all fittings on the suction side. I would bet that some have less than a full 1/2" clear opening. A fitting for a 1/2" hose will typically use a barb with an inside diameter of only about 3/8" and sometimes less than that. Those can be a major bottle neck and on the suction side it's critical to minimize restrictions of any kind for maximum performance.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
The pump is cavitating at the higher temperatures. Increasing the positive head on the suction side of the pump (ie mounting the pump lower) will help to mitigate the problem, but I don't think restricting the output flow would be a good idea at all. I've found that it's best that all hoses and fittings have a minimum ID of 1/2" (equal to or greater than the pump inlet ID). Check the inside diameter of all fittings on the suction side. I would bet that some have less than a full 1/2" clear opening. A fitting for a 1/2" hose will typically use a barb with an inside diameter of only about 3/8" and sometimes less than that. Those can be a major bottle neck and on the suction side it's critical to minimize restrictions of any kind for maximum performance.
+1 Def try reducing any restriction on the inlet before reducing output. Even tight bends can cause cavitation.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
How do people recirculate during the last 15 minutes of a boil then to clean a CFC? I thought this was common practice and one advantage I am really looking forward to when incorporating my 809.
You can't pump boiling wort due to the cavitation problem You can, however, pump wort that is slightly below boiling temperature. How much below depends on the head pressure on the suction side of the pump. Typically, when circulating in a loop through a CFC and back to the kettle, the kettle will be full which provides maximum positive head on the suction side while doing the circulation thing. This is a little different than say pumping hot water from a kettle to an elevated HLT as the head on the suction side will drop as the water level in the kettle falls. We're talking about a very small pressure change, but when it's borderline to begin with, it makes a noticeable difference as it will often be a go/no go situation. The second thing is that when circulating through a CFC like that, you are mostly just pumping horizontally and not up to an elevated kettle, so there is little head on the output side working against the pump. I can easily pump through the CFC and back to the kettle very shortly after shutting down the burner.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I just run it really slow through the CFC and back into the kettle, nothing like boiling wort to sanitize things But I usually just do the last 5 or so of the boil.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
rshosted
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I gotta be honest, I would not buy another march pump. They are too tempermental. I'm really interested in changing pumps.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshosted View Post
I gotta be honest, I would not buy another march pump. They are too tempermental. I'm really interested in changing pumps.
IMO, you could get the March pump to operate just fine if you use short, large diameter hoses on the suction side to minimize the restrictions. That and a bleeder valve I am sure would solve the problems. IOW, I don't think the pump itself is at fault. I use thick walled 5/8" ID hose throughout my system and have no problems at all with the pump. The 5/8" ID allows you to use barbed fittings that have an ID of 1/2", so nothing is less than that anywhere. I really think this is the key. The thick walled tubing resists kinking when used to pump very hot liquids. Often I see people using 1/2" ID tubing without giving any thought to the ID of the connection fittings and that can sometimes cause problems.

Quick Reply