Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March pump wiring to switch/outlet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Lind13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default March pump wiring to switch/outlet

Hey guys! I am sorry if any of you think this is a repost but after a few days of research and failed discussion with homedepot employees i am reaching out to you guys. I have essentially the same set up as this video

And i want to wire up the exact same switch box, but i have no flipping clue how i would do it. And the guys at homedepot were of no help. If this configuration is too difficult then tell me! I am really in need of wiring it up to use it as my other pump dropped and broke.
Thanks in advanced!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1387 Times on 1119 Posts

Piece of cake: Home Depot sells the Carlon series of PVC outlet boxes and the matching series of faceplates. You'd need a two gang box and one of these

Stick a GFCI outlet and a toggle switch in the box, slap on the faceplate, and you're good to go. The outlet comes with an instruction sheet that should show how to wire it, but if you're stuck, come back and ask for help...

Cheers!

[edit] Aw, slow morning, so I whipped up this sketch...

Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
WalterAtMarchPump
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What day trippr posted is perfect...The GFCI will have one side labled as "LINE" and the other side as "LOAD" you would place all your incoming power connections on the LINE side as his picture shows.....then hook up the pump to the LOAD side of the GFCI and your good to go.This way the GFCI and the pump are both switched ON/OFF
If you wanted to have only the pump on the switch then the black wire coming in from your power source will go to the LINE side of the GFCI instead of the switch as pictured, and theres usually two spots on those GFCI's for wires. The second spot on that same side of "LINE" you will hook up a small jumper wire and feed the switch and then hook up the pump to the switch.

-Walter

Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
[...]
If you wanted to have only the pump on the switch then the black wire coming in from your power source will go to the LINE side of the GFCI instead of the switch as pictured, and theres usually two spots on those GFCI's for wires. The second spot on that same side of "LINE" you will hook up a small jumper wire and feed the switch and then hook up the pump to the switch.
For the sake of clarity, in that configuration the input plug black and white wires must connect directly to the GFCI LINE side, the switch would take its power from the GCFI LOAD side black wire connection, the pump black wire goes to the other side of the switch, and the pump white wire must go to the GFCI LOAD side white wire connection...

Cheers!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
WalterAtMarchPump
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Yeah sometimes i tend to get a bit too technical and forget not everyone is familiar with the topic discussed

-Walter

Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Lind13
Recipes 

Haha this is all still over my head but i believe with that diagram i could find what i need! Im a college student so you would think im smart enough to figure it out : / but i think ill get it! I was hoping to find someone with an inventory list of what they made theirs of but i think you two have given me enough! Thank you!

Would i need to buy an extension cord and strip the female end out to connect to the LINE side?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lind13 View Post
[...] Would i need to buy an extension cord and strip the female end out to connect to the LINE side?
You would cut the female side off the extension cord and toss it. Then strip the black, white and green wires and wire them as shown in either diagram: the one I posted earlier switches the outlet, which you can plug your pump into without modifying it; or this one, where the outlet is always "hot" and you would have to cut the end off your pump power cord and wire as shown...

Cheers!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Lind13
Recipes 

Which should i do if i am looking to turn the pump on and off with the switch on the box,and have the extra port on that box be "hot" for plugging in other things?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lind13 View Post
Which should i do if i am looking to turn the pump on and off with the switch on the box,and have the extra port on that box be "hot" for plugging in other things?
I've never seen a dual outlet GFCI that had independent sockets (and I can think of at least two good reasons why). So I suspect you'd have to go with a standard, non-GFCI outlet to do that, not something I would recommend.

That said, if you have the space you could add a single gang box with a standard outlet, wired to the LOAD side of the GCFI via the switch. That would leave the GFCI always hot and available for random stuff, while providing the GFCI-protected switched standard outlet for your pump(s).

If you need a diagram for that, just ask...

Cheers!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts

If your source power is GFCI protected you can use a standard outlet and have one side non switched.

Quick Reply