Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March pump keeps sputtering...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default March pump keeps sputtering...

This is getting pretty frustrating. I have a March 809 pump. Generally was working great for about the last 6 months. I recently hard plumbed my system. Last time I brewed I had some serious problems with inconsistent flow and "sputtering." Flow would start, then choke off, sometimes, stop, then start up again. I chocked it up to a stuck sparge during RIMS. I had to brush grain off my braid to get flow going. But now I'm just testing my system with water and I'm getting that sputtering flow again. Fast one second, choking off the next with air bubbles in the line.

I have a bleeder valve and an autovent, so I don't think priming is the issue. I've been messing around trying to improve it and nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas? Is it my pump? My setup? Here's a pic. I don't know what to try here so any ideas are appreciated.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Dgonza9
Recipes 

I removed the pump head (just the part with the inlet and outlet. Didn't see any problems but the inlet and outlet tubes are hard plumbed, so I can't look inside them easily.

Should I look into the impeller?

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
Dgonza9
Recipes 

I removed the dip tube from the keg and raised it about 2 feet to get more head pressure. Better, but same problem. Must be the pump. Keg valve drains well.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Why do you have an autovent on the input side of the pump? It seems to me that you could be sucking in air through it. Temporarily put a plug there and see what happens.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to try plugging it tonight as I just added the autovent on the intake thinking it would help my flow issues. Of course, I had to change the plumbing to add it, so now I'm not sure what to look to.

My understanding is that the autovent on the intake will help vent the air trapped in my dip tube. Beerthirty had one on both the inlet and the output side of his pump.

I believe the autovent only lets air out, never in. But I'll try plugging it and report back.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

He has an autovent on the input side because thats where it should be. The autovent removes air from the input side so the pump can prime. I think air is getting into his pump somehow from the output side or the input is cavitating. He doesn't seem to have a priming problem as it primes but not not stay primed. I would think if the problem was on the input he would not be able to prime the pump at all. The other thing I don't like is braid. IMHO he would do much better with a false bottom as I would think it would be better at preventing cavitaion..

Guy

Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default AutoVent problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
He has an autovent on the input side because thats where it should be. The autovent removes air from the input side so the pump can prime. I think air is getting into his pump somehow from the output side or the input is cavitating. He doesn't seem to have a priming problem as it primes but not not stay primed. I would think if the problem was on the input he would not be able to prime the pump at all. The other thing I don't like is braid. IMHO he would do much better with a false bottom as I would think it would be better at preventing cavitaion..
Sawdustguy, I have to disagree with you. An autovent on the input side of the pump will suck air if there is any restriction in the input line greater than the restriction on the output side. Look at the Watts data sheet, as it specifies that the vent remains closed as long as system pressure is maintained. This doesn't happen if there is any restriction in the pump input.

See this: http://media.wattswater.com/ES-DuoVent.pdf

Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
Sawdustguy, I have to disagree with you. An autovent on the input side of the pump will suck air if there is any restriction in the input line greater than the restriction on the output side. Look at the Watts data sheet, as it specifies that the vent remains closed as long as system pressure is maintained. This doesn't happen if there is any restriction in the pump input.

See this: http://media.wattswater.com/ES-DuoVent.pdf
Your right, I don't know what I was thinking. I had to run into the garage and look at my rig and yup, it's on the output.

Guy

Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry, slightly off topic.

Guy how do you like the Autovent? Seem to work well on your system?

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

So far so good Ron, I have not had a priming problem since I installed it.

Guy

Quick Reply