The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March Pump Bronze Replacement Head

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
doggage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default March Pump Bronze Replacement Head

A few months ago, after reading everyone's advice, I use a lot of Teflon tape and carefully threaded couplings onto the input an output of my March pump. Still, last night I was cleaning up and with one small pull on a connected hose the threads broke off inside my coupling.

I couldn't bear spending 30 bucks for another polysulphone head, so I searched around and found agreat deal on a bronze replacement head from Adventures in Homebrewing for 39.99.

I just called the number at the top of the page and asked for the replacement head. The owner is putting it in the mail tonight. At only 39.99, I'd say it's worth the extra 10 bucks just to never have to worry about this problem again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
g13092
Recipes 

Sounds like a smart move to me. I've wondered about the robustness of the pump head. I'm surprised we don't hear about broken heads more often.

I've been thinking about getting a pump and putting it in a toolbox. Many of the setups I see have the head on the outside of the box, but I'd be worried about that without the Bronze head.

Wow, for $135, you get the Bronze head pump from Adventures in Homebrewing. That's just $30 more than the dude on Ebay with the standard plastic head.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No doubt. Got mine and didn't know these bronze head models were available so cheap on this site. I definitely haven't seen anyone else with this good a price on a bronze head model, and the stainless are astronomically priced.

I had mine completely enclosed and mounted in a toolbox, so I can't believe it broke. I got mine used (in perfect condition, so it came out to about the same price getting it and this bronze head. But I'd recommend these to anyone who hasn't already bought a pump.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you watch eBay, the bronze head ones come up for cheap pretty regularly. No brewery want them for some odd reason. I had one and loved it. Just sold it to Irregular pulse here because I got a different pump head arrangement.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The owner of Steinbarts in Portland told me he did not carry the March pumps anymore because too many of the plastic heads were breaking. Shortly after that conversation I noticed the website now has the plastic headed pumps for $194.50 . I guess he decided that if he can sell them for that price he can afford to replace the head if it breaks.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wow, that's a bit steep! I guess there's no shortage of people who either really want to support their LHBS or just don't shop around for whatever reason. I'm sure he'll still be able to sell a few even at that price.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have had my plastic pump head for about 8 years. However, I do keep a spare one on hand.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggage View Post
A few months ago, after reading everyone's advice, I use a lot of Teflon tape and carefully threaded couplings onto the input an output of my March pump. Still, last night I was cleaning up and with one small pull on a connected hose the threads broke off inside my coupling.

I couldn't bear spending 30 bucks for another polysulphone head, so I searched around and found agreat deal on a bronze replacement head from Adventures in Homebrewing for 39.99.

I just called the number at the top of the page and asked for the replacement head. The owner is putting it in the mail tonight. At only 39.99, I'd say it's worth the extra 10 bucks just to never have to worry about this problem again.
doggage
I just broke my pump this morning and remembered this thread. Are you happy with the bronze on? Any special tips I need to know to order one?

Thanks

Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Can the head be repaired with JB Weld or similar? Seems like it might be worth a shot for a few bucks of epoxy.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Can the head be repaired with JB Weld or similar? Seems like it might be worth a shot for a few bucks of epoxy.
Thanks for the suggestion samc, but the threads completely. I somehow forced it and "snap".

When I first got it I stripped the threads anyway almost immediately. I look forward to a bronze head.

In fact, if there is an alternative to March, I would highly consider it.

Quick Reply