Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March Pump broke on third use WTF!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
flananuts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default March Pump broke on third use WTF!

I have two march pumps I use in a HERMS system and one was always a bit noisier than the other. This morning as I started up my system for an AG the pump was extra noisy then it starting squealing and screeching and I knew I was F'd. I pulled the pump housing apart and didn't notice any damage to the impeller but I think there might have been a gasket or something where the impeller shaft sits in the top of the polysulphone head. I put it back together and could not get the pump to prime and then the screeching noise came back.

Has anyone had this problem before? Has anyone pulled the head apart before. Are there other parts that are missing? I bought this from Northern Brewer so hopefully I can get it exchanged.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That sound is what happens if you run it completely dry. Have you tried forcing water into the pump head with a garden hose first?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 14

As Bobby said.. the squealing is typically heard when the impeller is turning dry. If the noise is not the motor, but is the impeller, Id pull apart the compartment where the impeller resides ansd look to see if there is anything noticeable.

But of course you have done this already... man, I dunno

Old 10-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
flananuts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I did that and found that the thrust washer is completely missing. This happened while the pump was circulating water, fortunately not mash. I guess the rattling noise I heard before the squeal was the washer being chewed up. I'm going to call March on Monday and see if I can get some replacement parts from them.

Quick Reply