Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March pump advice, please!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Demon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Willowbrook, IL
Posts: 943
Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I have to have Bob help me take it off of my stand, and then I can take it apart. Unfortunately, he's laid up right now with a left hand injury, so it won't be for a few days or longer. We've got it secured so well to my stand that I can't get if off by myself.
The head will come off without removing the whole pump, just need a flathead screwdriver.
__________________
Demon is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,015
Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
May not relate to brewing but I have had to do this to my pool pump for the past few years when opening . Once it gets goin its fine all year. How long has it been since you brewed?
About 10 days since I last brewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewybrewing View Post
Turn it off and take a screwdriver and spin the fan blades. If the motor is stuck this will release it. This might only work if the motor clicks on.
I've tried to turn the fan blades- it's really hard to move them. I wonder if the whole thing is seized up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
The head will come off without removing the whole pump, just need a flathead screwdriver.
Thanks! I'll get at it tomorrow, then. I'm not ready to tackle it tonight.

The pump was the least of my issues today. My CFC totally clogged, and I used my co2 tank to blow it out but apparently not well enough. I have 10.5 gallons of hot wort sitting in fermenters. I guess I suddenly went "no chill".

Either this beer will suck and be an infected mess, or it will be the best beer I ever made. Either way, I'm NOT going to repeat it!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
lewybrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 118
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

They should NOT be hard to move. That is your problem.

__________________
My Homebrewing Adventures

Twitter @lewybrewing

Proud BNArmy and QUAFF member
lewybrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tjpfeister's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 495
Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

<deleted> Did not see Yooper's follow up.

__________________

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-Craft-Brewing/109802049089362?ref=hl

tjpfeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WalterAtMarchPump's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 677
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

DO NOT TRY AND TURN THE FAN BLADES!!! They are made from aluminum and they can bend easily...you may tweak them and it can start hitting the body of the motor internally!

Heres what you do:

1. Take the 4 Philips head screws out and remove the pump head....no need to take the motor out of the stand jet yet...now you should be able to spin the drive magnet by hand easily..
2. turn the power on and verify the motor runs properly....if it still hums then theres something wrong with it....could be the bearings have seized from corrosion if liquid was spilled on them...or something was dropped on it and tweaked the alignment out of whack and the rotor is locking up when power is applied.
3. If motor checks out then open the pump head up.....4 flat head screws on the back.
4. Impeller should spin freely on the shaft...if not then you could have a sugar build up between the shaft and impeller...you should be able to pull the impeller off the shaft and clean it all off. Soak it in hot water to dissolve it.
5. If for some reason its still tight, then it may have ben run dry.....your next option would be to drill the hole bigger. Take a 17?65" drill bit and drill the hole bigger...that shoudl solve it and put you back in business...

If none of that works for you or if you dont want to mess with it then you can ship it back to me and i can look it over for you.

__________________

-Walter

WalterAtMarchPump is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Homercidal
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 23,506
Liked 2114 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Default

Also, Bob is a guy. He should be able to do amazing things one-handed.

Just sayin.




Oh, and you should be able to see the fan blades spinning which would indicate whether the motor has seized, or the impeller is stuck. If you've had it about a year, I'd still take the pump housing off and clean inside there.

__________________
Homercidal is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,015
Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
DO NOT TRY AND TURN THE FAN BLADES!!! They are made from aluminum and they can bend easily...you may tweak them and it can start hitting the body of the motor internally!

Heres what you do:

1. Take the 4 Philips head screws out and remove the pump head....no need to take the motor out of the stand jet yet...now you should be able to spin the drive magnet by hand easily..
2. turn the power on and verify the motor runs properly....if it still hums then theres something wrong with it....could be the bearings have seized from corrosion if liquid was spilled on them...or something was dropped on it and tweaked the alignment out of whack and the rotor is locking up when power is applied.
3. If motor checks out then open the pump head up.....4 flat head screws on the back.
4. Impeller should spin freely on the shaft...if not then you could have a sugar build up between the shaft and impeller...you should be able to pull the impeller off the shaft and clean it all off. Soak it in hot water to dissolve it.
5. If for some reason its still tight, then it may have ben run dry.....your next option would be to drill the hole bigger. Take a 17?65" drill bit and drill the hole bigger...that shoudl solve it and put you back in business...

If none of that works for you or if you dont want to mess with it then you can ship it back to me and i can look it over for you.
Thank you! I have my little grandson right now but I will get at it later. I appreciate the input from everyone!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,015
Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
DO NOT TRY AND TURN THE FAN BLADES!!! They are made from aluminum and they can bend easily...you may tweak them and it can start hitting the body of the motor internally!

Heres what you do:

1. Take the 4 Philips head screws out and remove the pump head....no need to take the motor out of the stand jet yet...now you should be able to spin the drive magnet by hand easily..
2. turn the power on and verify the motor runs properly....if it still hums then theres something wrong with it....could be the bearings have seized from corrosion if liquid was spilled on them...or something was dropped on it and tweaked the alignment out of whack and the rotor is locking up when power is applied.
3. If motor checks out then open the pump head up.....4 flat head screws on the back.
4. Impeller should spin freely on the shaft...if not then you could have a sugar build up between the shaft and impeller...you should be able to pull the impeller off the shaft and clean it all off. Soak it in hot water to dissolve it.
5. If for some reason its still tight, then it may have ben run dry.....your next option would be to drill the hole bigger. Take a 17?65" drill bit and drill the hole bigger...that shoudl solve it and put you back in business...

If none of that works for you or if you dont want to mess with it then you can ship it back to me and i can look it over for you.
Walter, I did just what you said. Everything went fine. I took the head off. The drive magnet was easy to spin by hand and the motor was fine when I turned it on. I took apart the head, and the impeller spun freely but I took it off and made sure there was no gunk. Everything was perfect.

I put it back together, put some water in the HLT to prime it, and the motor did NOT run. It runs without the head attached, though! I let the water from the elevated HLT run via gravity through it to the bucket on the floor, but the pump motor never did turn on. I just turned it on after about 15 seconds.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WalterAtMarchPump's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 677
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Then it sounds like the alignment has shifted in the motor bracket and the drive magnet is now rubbing against the back of the pump housing. Heres what you do:
1. Put the pump all back together and plumb it up with some liquid so your not running it dry.
2. Now just crack the 4 flat head screws barely loose...just enough to be able to move the bracket around by tapping it with the handle of your screwdriver.
3. Turn the motor on and tap around the outside of the bracket till it starts working....when you get it spinning again and not rubbing, tighten it all up and you should be good to go.

Sounds like something/someone may have bumped the bracket/pump head and slightly shifted it....

__________________

-Walter

WalterAtMarchPump is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,015
Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Walter, I did just what you said. Everything went fine. I took the head off. The drive magnet was easy to spin by hand and the motor was fine when I turned it on. I took apart the head, and the impeller spun freely but I took it off and made sure there was no gunk. Everything was perfect.

I put it back together, put some water in the HLT to prime it, and the motor did NOT run. It runs without the head attached, though! I let the water from the elevated HLT run via gravity through it to the bucket on the floor, but the pump motor never did turn on. I just turned it on after about 15 seconds.
I spoke too soon. I decided to go try one more time before giving up and sending it in.

I started the water flowing, and then flipped the switch. And......ShaZAM! It started. It made a weird noise immediately, and I reached down to shut it off but it then within a second it started running perfectly. I turned it off. Turned it back on, and it works like brand new.

There was nothing in there to impede the flow that I saw- but I wonder if that quick noise was something that had fallen in there being knocked off?

One other note. When I took the head apart, I had water coming out of the hoses (I left the ball valve and the hoses on). I wonder if this was something like a water lock in the pump head? I blew out the hoses when I was done brewing yesterday, though, so I thought it would be empty. But water definitely came out once I opened up the pump head.

Anyway, I think it's resolved and I hope that quick "clunk" noise at the beginning was not a harbinger of bad things to come!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breast pump to replace march pump? instapman Equipment/Sanitation 69 03-21-2012 07:30 PM
March pump losing prime when running pump wide open rockytoptim Equipment/Sanitation 12 09-05-2011 01:42 AM
Dual purpose March Pump as a Rain Barrel Pump nanotigerbrewer Equipment/Sanitation 6 12-01-2010 07:18 PM
March pump wont pump high temperatures. above 190... rshosted Equipment/Sanitation 17 07-12-2010 09:05 PM
I need some March pump plumbing advice Reddog68 Equipment/Sanitation 12 02-24-2009 03:38 PM