New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March pump 809 priming success

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
marnel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default March pump 809 priming success

Just wrapped up my second straight brew day without a single issue priming my march pumps. I have 2 pumps on my single tier system that I usually have to break my prime about 8 times throughtout the brewday including cleaning.

I might have been lucky but I really think i've found something that works for me that i thought i pass along.

After reading all the threads about priming i've always just done what i've read. Open transfer vessel valve fully open, crack output side of pump and open liquid supply and wait for liquid to flow through output side before running pump. My pump head orientation has the output facing north. This has been hit or miss for me.

I discovered by accident that if i connected my hoses to both the input and output ports of the pump leaving the output port wide open as well as the transfer vessel port wide open, all i have to do is slam open the liquid port let gravity do the rest and once i hear liquid moving thru the pump give it 2 more full seconds and turn the pump on.

Thats it, i've now done it about 16 times over the last 2 brewdays without a single issue or outburst of fustration do to pumps not priming.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
SOB_OCDAVE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've had some issues with my March 809 pump. I have it mounted on a two tier brew stand and it is lower than both the pots. The pumps input and output sides are parallel to the floor. Sometime, especially with boiling hot wort or water, I don't get any flow. I get and initial surge and then a pulsing action but no flow. I thought i was getting air in the line around the PVC coupler but I swapped it out with a SS coupler. That seemed to work until last weekend when I had the same problem again. Unknown as to the culprit. All of a sudden it just started working again. What's up?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
2lflat4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB_OCDAVE View Post
I've had some issues with my March 809 pump. I have it mounted on a two tier brew stand and it is lower than both the pots. The pumps input and output sides are parallel to the floor. Sometime, especially with boiling hot wort or water, I don't get any flow. I get and initial surge and then a pulsing action but no flow. I thought i was getting air in the line around the PVC coupler but I swapped it out with a SS coupler. That seemed to work until last weekend when I had the same problem again. Unknown as to the culprit. All of a sudden it just started working again. What's up?
Try rotating the pump head 90 deg with the output pointing straight up. When priming the pump open the output valve all the way on the pump and hold the output hose vertical if possible before connecting to any fittings. You know that the system is primed properly when the liquid level in the output hose is the same level as the source vessel.

Last edited by 2lflat4; 03-28-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

That plus you need the larger impellers. Since I went to these impellers, I have yet to have any priming issues. Before I was suck starting that schit like a cheap Bangkok hooker.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
SOB_OCDAVE
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

@2lflat4: I have looked at other positions but the issue here is the brew stand is a Bayou Classic L-shaped stand. It has a burner that folds up when not in use. The pump sits about 3-4 inches off the floor and there is not enough room to turn it like you mentioned. It is pretty much the only way to mount it unless I raise the whole brew stand off the floor. That, BTW, is a future project. I want to put the stand on casters or some other platform. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Hammy71

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
That plus you need the larger impellers. Since I went to these impellers, I have yet to have any priming issues. Before I was suck starting that schit like a cheap Bangkok hooker.
What larger impellers?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 87

There is a thread with part numbers here. The thread with the guy from March. Look for it.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Hammy71

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Holy crap!! It took me a couple of months to finally get one of the new impellers (back ordered for ever it seemed). But wow, what a difference. Primed right up, and really improves the speed. My RIMS has a new life!!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
WalterAtMarchPump
Vendor
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

We have plenty of the 815 impellers here at the factory. (part# 0809-0107-0200) Most distributors will wait till they get enough of an order to get their discount rates before placing an order...that could be why they are telling you they are on back order to give them some time...

-Walter

Old 12-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
Jsuds
Recipes 

Is the impeller different on the new high flow model or is that another upgrade?

Quick Reply