Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March 809 HS Problem

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
cajeffus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McCall, Idaho
Posts: 2
Default March 809 HS Problem

First off I apologize if this has been addressed. But, I have looked through the forms with no resolution to my problem and noticed that although there are simaler pump problems, it is always when implementing a new pump. My problem is as follows: I've been brewing for almost a year now with a March 809 HS. I do 15 gal batches and the pump has pushed through 25 batches so far. On the last couple of batches, though, it is cavitationing when pumping the hotter liquids coming from the HLT and BK for some reason. At least I think that is what is happening. It pumps a little liquid and then bogs down for a second, then revs higher and then doesn't push liquid any longer. Then I have to turn it off, in which it makes a squeal/grinding noise as it turns off and I must re prime to start again. I have read several forms of this happening in which the individuals increase the inlet flow or they restrict the output flow. My system goes into a pony keg lauter grant and I have a ball valve on the outlet that I restrict the flow with no resolution. All I can come up with is that my pump on the outs as I have gone through many brews without this problem. Does anyone have knowledge of their pump doing this after it gets old and if so is there just some replacement parts I can get? Thanks for the Help

__________________
cajeffus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 9,409
Liked 1033 Times on 838 Posts

Default

Two possibilities:

- the "impeller binding on its shaft" syndrome, caused by deposit build-up. The suggested fix is to take the pump head apart, remove the impeller, and run a 17/64" drill bit through the pivot hole.

- a bit less likely but definitely in the running is the thrust washer that sits on the impeller shaft between the impeller and the pump housing is worn out, resulting in the impeller making contact with the pump housing. You have to remove the pump head to check on the thrust washer condition. Morebeer sells replacement thrust washers for the 809 HS...

Cheers!

__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
Deric
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Deric's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 126
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

+1 to what day tripper said but also....

Have you ever just taken it apart and cleaned it?

__________________

In dog beers I've only had one.

Deric is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
iaefebs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Coast, MI
Posts: 2,638
Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 597

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Two possibilities:

- the "impeller binding on its shaft" syndrome, caused by deposit build-up. The suggested fix is to take the pump head apart, remove the impeller, and run a 17/64" drill bit through the pivot hole.

- a bit less likely but definitely in the running is the thrust washer that sits on the impeller shaft between the impeller and the pump housing is worn out, resulting in the impeller making contact with the pump housing. You have to remove the pump head to check on the thrust washer condition. Morebeer sells replacement thrust washers for the 809 HS...

Cheers!
I have to question the thrust washer worn out info. My impeller makes more contact with the rear housing. When I look in the housing I can see where the impeller is rubbing on it. I wonder if in use the impeller makes any contact with the thrust washer at all or if bounces between the washer and housing. That would be a travel of maybe 3/16". Hmmm. Does anyone else see wear on the housing?
__________________

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

iaefebs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WalterAtMarchPump's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 675
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

That wear on the back is normal...the impeller moves around during use. When you have full flow with a good supply feeding the pump, the impeller gets moved to the back.... if you restrict the outlet, the impeller will float neutral. then as the level of the liquid drops and there's less head height feeding the pump, the impeller starts to move forward against the thrust washer as it starts to turn into a suction pump instead of a transfer pump....

__________________

-Walter

WalterAtMarchPump is offline
iaefebs Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
iaefebs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Coast, MI
Posts: 2,638
Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 597

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
That wear on the back is normal...the impeller moves around during use. When you have full flow with a good supply feeding the pump, the impeller gets moved to the back.... if you restrict the outlet, the impeller will float neutral. then as the level of the liquid drops and there's less head height feeding the pump, the impeller starts to move forward against the thrust washer as it starts to turn into a suction pump instead of a transfer pump....
Thank you for the information Walter.
__________________

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

iaefebs is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
TwoDogBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TwoDogBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 151
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajeffus View Post
First off I apologize if this has been addressed. But, I have looked through the forms with no resolution to my problem and noticed that although there are simaler pump problems, it is always when implementing a new pump. My problem is as follows: I've been brewing for almost a year now with a March 809 HS. I do 15 gal batches and the pump has pushed through 25 batches so far. On the last couple of batches, though, it is cavitationing when pumping the hotter liquids coming from the HLT and BK for some reason. At least I think that is what is happening. It pumps a little liquid and then bogs down for a second, then revs higher and then doesn't push liquid any longer. Then I have to turn it off, in which it makes a squeal/grinding noise as it turns off and I must re prime to start again. I have read several forms of this happening in which the individuals increase the inlet flow or they restrict the output flow. My system goes into a pony keg lauter grant and I have a ball valve on the outlet that I restrict the flow with no resolution. All I can come up with is that my pump on the outs as I have gone through many brews without this problem. Does anyone have knowledge of their pump doing this after it gets old and if so is there just some replacement parts I can get? Thanks for the Help
Gosh.. I am having the exact same issue and only used this pump twice .. 2 hrs total run time. Can't wait to see resolution.. I am going to take apart and check for foreign matter.
__________________
TwoDogBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
cajeffus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McCall, Idaho
Posts: 2
Default

Finally got a chance to take apart the wet end of the pump today. It was fairly clean, no large debris, but a small amount of sludge on the shaft. There was no thrust washer. I'm wondering if it disintegrated over time and made its way into the wort. If this did happen would no thrust washer cause the pump to do what I described above? Non the less I'm going to order a new one and I'll get back with results.

__________________
cajeffus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
TwoDogBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TwoDogBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 151
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Took apart two pumps today also to do a comparison. One good one that pumped recirculation mash for an hour with no problems and no noise.
The other was the one cavitation and making noise after it gets hot liquid through it after a while.
Both were very clean, no foreign matter , spun free on shaft, thrust washers looked fine.
Only difference I saw was that the shaft stuck out a tad further on the good one than the one giving me problems..

At a loss what to do here .

__________________
TwoDogBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WalterAtMarchPump's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 675
Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

cajeffus, if the thrust washer is not there then the impeller can come in contac with the front housing and cause issues...even the screetching noise can sometimes be heard too....you can try a stainless washer from a hardware store in the mean time...just make sure it has a 1/4" hole to fit over the shaft....and it should cure the issues till the thrust washers arrive for you...


TwoDogBrew, Can you post a pic of your setup or maybe email it to me? I can see if theres anything you may need to change on the setup to help you...

__________________

-Walter

WalterAtMarchPump is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MArch 809 Problem - Losing Prime Cape Brewing Equipment/Sanitation 18 06-23-2011 09:18 PM
Major problem with march pump. AshtrayDinner Equipment/Sanitation 15 08-05-2009 03:23 AM
Problem with my march pump... lesyphon Equipment/Sanitation 10 06-19-2009 02:35 AM
March pump problem baer19d Equipment/Sanitation 20 05-26-2009 08:53 PM
March Pump Problem davidkrau Equipment/Sanitation 1 11-23-2007 12:45 AM