Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Manifold wrapped in SS Braid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Default Manifold wrapped in SS Braid?

Would this be overkill, or is the the perfect way to prevent a stuck sparge?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't think it would prevent a stuck sparge so much as it would cut down the amount you have to recirc. SS braid is a durn good filter but lacks structure (much like many HBers). The manifold skeleton would provide than. Sounds like a good combo to me!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Then how 'bout this? Instead of removing the inner tubing, push the SS back, drill a couple dozen good sized holes in the inner-tube, then letting the SS go back to its original shape? Sounds like an easy manifold.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The real problem with doing this is you are still plugging up a great deal of the open surface area of the braid. You could run some 3/16" stainless or copper rod through the braid to give it some rigidity (or maybe 1/4" OD copper tubing). It wouldn't really connect to anything, just kinda float inside the braid allowing all the openings to pull wort in. In my case, I glued a little block of acrylic at the far end of my rectangular cooler so that I could attach a round clamp to it with a screw. This holds the end of my braid in place.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

From what I've read, manifolds almost never get stuck sparges. The only reason Rhoobarb had that problem was his manifold came apart at the base.

Hey, didn't you say you bought a round cooler? How come you're not using a false bottom? They seem like a really good option as long as you're not using a rectangular cooler.

Also, on the idea of pulling back the braid and poking holes - I think the part you remove is plastic.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think you may be on to something. Here's what I might do. leave the hose assembly intact then drill your holes where there are gaps in the SS mesh, use the connector on 1 end to connect to the ball valve put a plug up the other end.
But unless you put a bunch of holes in the pipe I think you may be increasing your chances of a stuck sparge. If you just like making you own equipment I think it's an idea worth trying. If you are trying to save money you may be better off with a manifold or false bottom.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
From what I've read, manifolds almost never get stuck sparges. The only reason Rhoobarb had that problem was his manifold came apart at the base.

Hey, didn't you say you bought a round cooler? How come you're not using a false bottom? They seem like a really good option as long as you're not using a rectangular cooler.

Also, on the idea of pulling back the braid and poking holes - I think the part you remove is plastic.
I'm torn on the decision between the two.

Cool Shirts.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Use a dremel, take large areas from the pipe and use it as a skeleton for a mesh.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Jester4176
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you bent a piece of copper to the desired shape, then drilled 40-50 holes in it, then slid the SS sleve over it, I don't see why it wouldn't work fine. Just need a bunch of holes to allow a good runoff flow rate. But remember, bend to shape before drilling. If ya drill first, then ben, it's likely to just crimp.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds like overkill to me--if you're going to bother making a manifold, why bother with the SS braid?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Quick Reply