New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Manifold pipes - getting the plastic bits out...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
ebstauffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Manifold pipes - getting the plastic bits out...

I've recently upgraded my MLT to a 70 qt Coleman picnic cooler w/ manifold. Manifold is made from 1/2" cpvc. Was less than $15 for all of the parts and fits perfectly. The middle arm connects to the bulkhead fitting with a 1/2 Cu coupling. Here's the manifold:

Slits were cut with a Rockwell Sonicrafter about every 3/16" to 1/4". Dull as dishwater but not at all difficult. The problem I ran into, however, are small plastic slivers that are hanging on to the inside of the custs. I wrapped some sandpaper around a 3/8" dowel and than helped a little, but quite a bit of crud remains:

Any thoughts on how I might resolve this problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
jamboparty

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I first made mine, I had the same problem. What I ended up doing (and there's probably a much easier way to do it) was taking a long pipe cleaner brush similar to this...

... and used it to clean out as much as I could. After that, I took a razor knife and cleaned out each cut that still had loose plastic hanging. I then cleaned it out with the brush again to clear out all the stuff that I cut free.

It was time consuming but it turned out well.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
mariojr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I did the same as jamboparty. I made the brush longer buy cutting the loop off the end and then sticking it into an old golf club shaft I had laying around.

Mario

A Flower?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
jwilki1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used a set of modeling files and a large round file just smaller than the id of the pipe. Worked really well.

“Having thus chosen our course, without guile and with pure purpose, let us renew our trust in God, and go forward without fear and with manly hearts.”
-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply