Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Manifold for 70qt Coleman Xtreme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
janzik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Manifold for 70qt Coleman Xtreme

I was planning to put together a manifold for the 70qt Coleman Xtreme I got from Walmart ($38) last week. I stopped by Lowes to scope out some parts and what I planned will not fit. So I am back to the drawing board. Here is what I had setup:

C----------C
| |
T-----------T
| T-OUT
T-----------T
| |
C----------C

(Edit: the above diagram looks a lot prettier in the edit window then it does on a read. So just imagine that the vertical lines "|" connect the C's and T's)

The vertical pieces were really just enough copper to connect the corners to the T's

This measured in at 10 15/16 inches (the cooler is ~10 1/2). I was thinking I can probably shave enough off the T's to make it work out, but I'm not sure.

Palmer's book says to have space on the outside of the corners (X on the inside, 1 half X on each outside corner (so 2 inches between the corner and the first T then the outside of the manifold to the wall "needs" to have 1 inch). I'm assuming (since I was too lazy to completely read the book) that this is for uniformity in flow.

I also seen this design for the Coleman 70 (on another board).

There was another pic that I found (I can't remember where, I'll edit if I find it) that had the manifold squeezed to the sides (maxed in size to help keep it in the cooler I guess?).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just converted the 70qt coleman that I got for Christmas. I used a stainless steel braid though.

Regardless, I posted the parts I used for the ball valve and whatnot if that helps you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49145

Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNVince
I just converted the 70qt coleman that I got for Christmas. I used a stainless steel braid though.

Regardless, I posted the parts I used for the ball valve and whatnot if that helps you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49145
Thanks, that will help.

I also just seen this post as well..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43077

Looks like a simple loop like I posted the image link too.

Maybe I'm getting too complicated with trying to have 4 rows and should just do the 2.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BN, and others that worked with a Coleman rectangular 36 or 70 qt, do you really need to go with the 1/2 nominal size, or would the 3/8 (as in round cooler parts list) do...?

I shopped with the 3/8 parts list, and I wonder if I need ot start again (they do share a common part or two).

EDIT: above refers to braid system parts list

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergears
BN, and others that worked with a Coleman rectangular 36 or 70 qt, do you really need to go with the 1/2 nominal size, or would the 3/8 (as in round cooler parts list) do...?

I shopped with the 3/8 parts list, and I wonder if I need ot start again (they do share a common part or two).

EDIT: above refers to braid system parts list
Everything fits very snug (which is a good thing I think) with 1/2 inch. I'm sure you could try it with 3/8 inch. I just went off a previous tutorial I found but I had to change a few things to fit the vinyl hosing I have.

Also, the 1/2 CLOSE nipple makes for a very tight fit. Something a bit longer may be better. I just made do with it because mine works and doesn't leak. I let it sit for 2 hours and not a drop.

Here is the original tutorial I used.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
cowgo

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNVince
Everything fits very snug (which is a good thing I think) with 1/2 inch. I'm sure you could try it with 3/8 inch. I just went off a previous tutorial I found but I had to change a few things to fit the vinyl hosing I have.

Also, the 1/2 CLOSE nipple makes for a very tight fit. Something a bit longer may be better. I just made do with it because mine works and doesn't leak. I let it sit for 2 hours and not a drop.

Here is the original tutorial I used.
+1 that. I just converted my Coleman Extreme Cooler with 1/2 inch nipple and 1/2 inch ball valve. Very good water tight fit. Filled it with hot water and an hour later, still bone dry around the outside fitting.

Can't wait to try it out on Saturday. I have a single malt single hop brew (american 2 row and Amarillo) planned.
Kegged/bottled: Cowbrau Heifer Weizen, Kolsch, House Ale
Commercial Brews in Fridge: Nothing! Finally got the pipeline filled.
Past HB Favorites: Dead Dog Barley Wine (She was a good dog)
Up Next: Faux Urquell Blond Ale and Irish Red

Secret Hidden Mancave Build (x2) Thread Cowbrau eBIAB Brewspace Build Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is how I did mine, I used 3/4 PVC but copper could be used just as easilly. I cut slits in with a dremmel and a cutoff blade every 1/8" or so. I cut it to fit tight when pressed into place. You could use a shovel to stir your mash and it would stay put.

This is the manifold just laying on the lid for the pic. I did change out the tow outer pieces with solid PVC after reading Palmers book

I also built a SS braid for it because I had everything laying at home except fot the plastic T....I never got around to trying it as is always got mid to high 8o's % wise

Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's really nice. That braid is enormous.

I'm wondering, does the size of the braid effect efficiency or does it simply help against stuck sparges?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Its probably overkill but I had an extra braided washing machine hose laying here from when we built the house and I couldnt bring my self to cutting it in half. Most just use a single straight piece of braid and never have any problems.
I dont think you get any stuck sparges with braid. I never did with the PVC either, even did one with 45 oz of pumpkin puree.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Its probably overkill but I had an extra braided washing machine hose laying here from when we built the house and I couldnt bring my self to cutting it in half. Most just use a single straight piece of braid and never have any problems.
I dont think you get any stuck sparges with braid. I never did with the PVC either, even did one with 45 oz of pumpkin puree.
Nice. I'm really excited to give this thing a go on Sunday. I'm just hoping I get some good efficiency out of it. I'll be doing EdWort's Hause Pale Ale. We'll see how it goes.

Quick Reply