Making your kit on a bargain...AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddyjay

Reaction score
So I've been searching the net for components needed to build an all grain brewing kit for cheap.

I know it's not all cheap, but I tried not suffer quality for a better price.

Note: not all listed here is what I brew with. If you're missing a component, or haven't gotten into All grain yet, I figured I would do the searching and work for ya. I started off with extract brewing with my Grandpa...figured it was time to go all out. Hopefully Yuri doesn't move this to the Extract brewing forum...:D

Burner and 30qt pot: 39.99 Academy Sports and outdoors www.academy.com

Comes with thermometer, burner, and burner stand.
Brew pot is made from aluminum (good if you only brew about 1 time a month)
other than that.....go with steel.

Mash tun: 49.99 From www.brewd00d.com

28qt with collection manifold and faucet, plus 15'' of tubing.

Bottles: Free...

tell your friends you want them! Make sure they are not twist off caps.
Sanitize them religiously.

Corona Grinder: 55.00 www.flatfenderbrewing.com

You can find these used all day for cheaper....this is the price for a new one.
Flatfenderbrewing is about the best site you can find for selection and price.

Meastro Beer Equipment Kit: 65.00 www.flatfenderbrewing.com

Comes with:True Brew Handbook, 6.5 gallon Primary Fermenting bucket with Lid, 6.5 gallon Bottling Bucket with spigot, Springless Bottle Filler, Fermometer adhesive fermentation thermometer, True Brew Rack & Fill Kit, Hydrometer, Emily Double Lever Capper, Bottle Brush, 3 Piece Airlock, C-Brite Sanitizer 8-pack. You can get kits like these anywhere...I like this one.

Immersion wort chiller: 49.95 www.midwestsupplies.com

Its made from stainless steel. If you want copper, it might cost you a little more. You can find these used for a little cheaper. Remember I'm listing all new parts!

Bottle rinser: 14.95 www.flatfenderbrewing.com

Bottle dryer: 15.95 www.flatfenderbrewing.com

This is basically a very good start. I know I left out a lot of odds and ends.

Came out to about 291 Dollars. Not bad.
If you'll can find stuff for cheaper...let me know! I've got a few friends that want to get into homebrewing...I could pass the info on!
:tank:

P.S. of course everything can be found used....

I got my burner and pot from a link I found on here on amazon for 28 or something. Great deal. With a chiller copper is the most expensive part and it's somewhere around 30 bucks for 25 feet. If you want a 50 foot roll it's generally cheaper by the foot. You can build your MLT out of an old cooler. you already have a fermenter. My HBS crushes my grain for me so I don't really worry about a mill. I wash my bottles when they are empty. Then on bottling day I throw them all in the dishwasher by themselves with a tablespoon of bleach (just for luck) and then go golfing. Come back later, throw in my priming sugar, siphon, pull up a chair and fill bottles as fast as I can. So I don't worry about a bottle washer or tree either. a small bottle brush in the baby section at walmart might be nice. But I still haven't had much need for one. I found some flip tops at my HBS for 1.00 a peice. Though I've heard of them cheaper at recycling centers and bars. For the most part I use empty 40's of MGD. Or whatever you were bottling with while doing extract was fine. I actually haven't even done my first AG batch. But, I'm very prepared. Most of the equipment I need I just drive 1 mile and wake up my step dad and he is all excited to help build something generally.

I got my burner and pot from a link I found on here on amazon for 28 or something. Great deal. With a chiller copper is the most expensive part and it's somewhere around 30 bucks for 25 feet. If you want a 50 foot roll it's generally cheaper by the foot. You can build your MLT out of an old cooler. you already have a fermenter. My HBS crushes my grain for me so I don't really worry about a mill. I wash my bottles when they are empty. Then on bottling day I throw them all in the dishwasher by themselves with a tablespoon of bleach (just for luck) and then go golfing. Come back later, throw in my priming sugar, siphon, pull up a chair and fill bottles as fast as I can. So I don't worry about a bottle washer or tree either. a small bottle brush in the baby section at walmart might be nice. But I still haven't had much need for one. I found some flip tops at my HBS for 1.00 a peice. Though I've heard of them cheaper at recycling centers and bars. For the most part I use empty 40's of MGD. Or whatever you were bottling with while doing extract was fine. I actually haven't even done my first AG batch. But, I'm very prepared. Most of the equipment I need I just drive 1 mile and wake up my step dad and he is all excited to help build something generally.

Sounds like you gotta done CHEAP! Do you taste any bleach water? Cleaning is one of my things...How big was the pot?

Let me know how your first all grain goes!

haha....you're dad will help you make the beer kit? Cool Family.

this was meant for someone that doesn't have anything...or needed to search for equipment...

This was also for people that don't want to build anything (MLT out of a cooler)

Brew pot is made from aluminum (good if you only brew about 1 time a month)
other than that.....go with steel.

Is there a reason for the frequency-of-brewing criteria here, or a general preference for SS but can't justify the $$$ for less-frequent brewing?

Oh, sorry. Building is one of my things. I've actually never had a problem with the medicinal flavors generally associated with not rinsing away the bleach well. I try to use correct dilutions with all of my sanitizing with bleach. and rinse extremely well. My family has been very helpful and supportive.

Is there a reason for the frequency-of-brewing criteria here, or a general preference for SS but can't justify the $$$ for less-frequent brewing?

I've never heard this either...it might just be part of the anti aluminum bias/hysteria....Think about this, plenty of resteraunts use aluminum kettles and pots everyday...

28 qt is TINY! Anyone can build a bigger mash tun for less than that. If you still wanted to buy a pre-made one, I'd go for the 48qt for only $10 more.

I got a 48 quart rectangular Igloo cooler (used only a few times) on craigslist for $18. CPVC, elbows and Ts, and a ball valve was like $12 total.

Boom. Big mash tun for $30. :rockin:

Wow, I've never heard of some of those sites.......IMO stick to the 'proven' homebrew shops online like www.austinhomebrew.com www.morebeer.com etc.

Also, who REALLY buys a prebuilt MLT?? Home depot and Academy will get you what you need....

actually, the guy that makes the prebuilt MLT sells several of them. I'm not sure of anyone else that makes them....business anyone....hint hint

a 50 quart igloo cooler will cost about 28.00...then go out and buy all the pipe for the conversion.

I use my friends MLT.....free....48qt and it rocks!

I've never heard this either...it might just be part of the anti aluminum bias/hysteria....Think about this, plenty of resteraunts use aluminum kettles and pots everyday...

ever done any welding with aluminum? It would be quite hard to attached a spigot for the use of a counterflow chiller...

I guess you could silver bond it.

I'm only biased about aluminum because mine warped.

ever done any welding with aluminum? It would be quite hard to attached a spigot for the use of a counterflow chiller...

I guess you could silver bond it.

I'm only biased about aluminum because mine warped.

Or you could buy a weldless fitting for it. My brewpot is 1/4" aluminum, and you could hit it with a baseball bat and not hurt it.

Or you could buy a weldless fitting for it. My brewpot is 1/4" aluminum, and you could hit it with a baseball bat and not hurt it.

+1
10 gal, 1/4 inch thick WITH a spigot, and aluminum transfers heat better than steel. Now tell me again what's wrong with my kettle.

I wish I thought of this before I fitted my sanke with a spiggot;
5408-whirlpool_result.jpg

Bradsul method..racking arm/level indicator/stir paddle

Cheers
BeerCanuck

BeerCanuck, how do you get such a nice trub pile?? I've tried to whirlpool 2 or 3 times but it's NEVER looked like that..........whats the secret??

Alamo_Beer...cant take credit for this...it's all Bradsul method.
I think he uses a bit of irish moss.
I like the simplicity/functionality of this approach. Especially for someone getting into AG.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I do carry immersion chillers for $45 also!!
We also have well over 400 positive feedbacks on ebay as weel if anybody is concerned with purchasing from us. Just thought i would toss that out there.
I dont have them on my set yet but i do sell them & i'll get it on there one of these days.

Do you have to siphon the hot wort through that tube? Kinda scary. My luck i would have drank to much brew while brewing & burn my mouth!!

Latest posts

Back