Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Making my first Keggle today...........

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
jikastew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making my first Keggle today...........

So I got the angle grinder out and cut out my lid. It actually when very very well. I was worried about the noise pissing off the neighbors more than anything. All and all, its a nice cut.

Any tips on cleaning up the cut? I'm going with what I've read and am headed off to Menards to get a buffing wheel of some sort to clean it up, I guess.

Can someone confirm to only drill a hole 3/4" (not 7/8") for fitting a Zymico bulkhead. I think I read that somewhere.......

Last edited by jikastew; 06-01-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
BrewSapiens
Nobody
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
So I got the angle grinder out and cut out my lid. It actually when very very well. I was worried about the noise pissing off the neighbors more than anything. All and all, its a nice cut.

Any tips on cleaning up the cut? I'm going with what I've read and am headed off to Menards to get a buffing wheel of some sort to clean it up, I guess.

Can some confirm to only drill a hole 3/4" (not 7/8") for fitting a Zymico bulkhead. I think I read that somewhere.......

A flap disk on that angle grinder will get'er done in short order!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Can someone confirm to only drill a hole 3/4" (not 7/8") for fitting a Zymico bulkhead. I think I read that somewhere.......

I made the hole smaller and made adjustments with a dremel. You can always make the hole bigger after you cut it, you can't make it smaller.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

measure twice and cut once! Or is it cut twice and cuss because you only measured once. I use a hole press. got it from harbor freight. they make very clean holes. I think harbor freight carries them. you drill small hole in correct location then place the half of hole press with the screw stud through the hole. place the other half and nut on other side. then tighten nut until press punches through. perfect hole that needs very little dressing.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
jikastew
Recipes 

The first top went to well, I did the second keg too. No problems. Now on to the drilling.

The flap disk cleaned up the burrs well. I'll probably not even sand it down. It's nice and dull.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
jikastew
Recipes 

In terms of what height to drill the bulkhead hole...........I've seen everything from 3.5 inches to 5 inches from the bottom.

Any tips?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
jikastew
Recipes 

Well, done.

I did 2 kegs. About as easy as everyone says it is. If I had to do it again, I'd use a 7/8" hole-cutter. The hardest part of the whole thing was sitting there with a chainsaw file trying to enlarge the hole. You really would have to toggle the hole-cutter all over the place to need anything but a 7/8". That would be the only bad advice I read when reviewing the process.

Anyway, for those of you wanting some bigger kettles.........make some keggles. Very easy.

Next weekend, time to make copper drainage.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Well, done.

I did 2 kegs. About as easy as everyone says it is. If I had to do it again, I'd use a 7/8" hole-cutter. The hardest part of the whole thing was sitting there with a chainsaw file trying to enlarge the hole. You really would have to toggle the hole-cutter all over the place to need anything but a 7/8". That would be the only bad advice I read when reviewing the process.

Anyway, for those of you wanting some bigger kettles.........make some keggles. Very easy.

Next weekend, time to make copper drainage.
I used a dremel to enlarge hole, only took a few minutes and the fitting is real tight. Everything I read said to go smaller and then enlarge hole with a file or something similar to dremel. I guess the larger size hole would have worked but would the fit have been as tight? So far I haven't had any leaks. Like I said you can always enlarge the hole but you can't make it smaller after it's cut. Better to spend a little more time then take a chance ruining the keg.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The bulkhead should go as low as possible, maybe 1/2" above the bottom skirt weld.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
BrewinRob
Recipes 

I just did mine this weekend. I cut the top with a jig saw (went through 4 blades) Kinda wish I had an angle grinder now... For the bulkhead hole, I went with 3/4 and filed it out. Took all of 5 minutes to get a perfect fit. Like Bobby suggested, drilled about 1/2 inch above the bottom skirt weld. I found the location by placing the fender washer just above the bottom skirt weld and tracing the inner circle. No leaks and brewed a 10 gal batch after I cleaned it up a bit.

Last edited by BrewinRob; 06-02-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply