The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Major Keg Score! Now what to do with them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
TheGAC
Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Major Keg Score! Now what to do with them?

Man-o-man am I stoked!!!

A few weeks ago I decided that I want/need kegs. I want a sanke to be able to convert to a kettle. I want a sanke that I could use as a primary. I want a sanke that I could use for pressurized fermentation. And hell, since everything else is made out of a keg, lets skip the whole bottling thing and just go straight to kegging.

For those of you who don't know, I have yet to brew a single batch. I stumbled upon this site a few months ago, loved it, and I've been spending the last month or two reading up, gaining knowledge, and trying to secure equipment to make my own brew.

I am in love with the Stout! Hence the name down below, Blackened Brew, Brewing Co. For quite a long time, I will only be brewing the Stout. My SWMBO doesn't care for beer, but I have seen her drink a Butt-Light (bud light... barf!) before. So maybe someday in the future I will have to do a lager for her, and I know I'll have to do a lager for her Dad, because he's a BMC guy. Don't worry, I will do all in my powers to change that. I'll get him to realize what beer can be like.

My future father-in-law, Don, is a very resourceful kind of guy. I love to work in the machine shop for a hobby, and said, "Hey Don, you know where I can get a turbo for a car? I want to try and make one." No kidding, he had a turbo in my hands that I can tear apart and keep forever in 3 days.

Knowing how he's the kind of guy that gets along with damn near everyone, I posed the question, "Hey Don, you know where I can get a keg? I want to brew beer."

He replied, "You mean like the one I cook crabs in?"

"Yup, that's the one..."

"Let me make a phone call," he said.

The next day he tells me that he has a buddy with a few that he wants to get rid of. It'll only cost me $12 a piece and he has 4 of them that are supposed to be in great shape.

I hear that this guy likes to strike a deal, so I make the offer of $10 a keg. The offer is rejected!

I thought about it for a week or so, and told Don to make the deal, I'll pay $12 a piece. Guys on here that I talk with regularly with just about killed me when I told them I passed up on it.

Don calls me up the next night and asks, "How much do you love me?"

"What did you do now, Don?"

"I got you all 4 kegs you wanted."

"Sweet! How much do I owe?"

"No, listen to me, I got you all 4 kegs you wanted at no cost."

At this point many expletives came out of my mouth... damn, that was cool!

So yesterday Don and I went to pick up the kegs. This is what I was expecting to get:

When we got there, the buddy asked, "So, how many do you want?" To which his wife replied, "... all of them! I want them out of here."

So this is what I ended going home with:

I also got the equipment to tap the older kegs.

So here's where all of this was leading... What should I do with them all? The one in the front center of the second picture will become a Keggle. It's the most beat-up of them all. Probably two of the other ones will become primaries in some shape or form. I eventually want to move onto pressurized fermenting, so I'm going to keep them in tact.

Anyone know how to take apart the older kegs? I was able to dismantle the newer ones without any trouble, and I put them back together for now. I'm totally lost on the older ones.

What would you do with them?

They should replace the coffee at work with a good ol' Oatmeal Stout... At least then I'd be to work on time.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."-Abraham Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
ibrewdou

Recipes 

congratulations! what a great deal. and your brewery name is very good. see if your wife likes saison dupont, its a nice light belgian farmhouse ale. very elegant. my wife loves it. no wait, my...swmbo!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
TheGAC

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just putting something in here to bring it back to the top... want to hear what people think I should do with the kegs.

They should replace the coffee at work with a good ol' Oatmeal Stout... At least then I'd be to work on time.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The Five newer Sankeys
1. Hot Liquor Tank
2. Mash Tun
3. Boil Kettle
4. Secondary Fermenter I
5. Secondary Fermenter II

Two older mystery kegs:
1. Primary fermenter
2. A grill to go with your brewery, alternatively, you could make a sweet smoking setup for making smoke beers.

That was a good score, well done.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
TheGAC

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter
The Five newer Sankeys
1. Hot Liquor Tank
2. Mash Tun
3. Boil Kettle
4. Secondary Fermenter I
5. Secondary Fermenter II

Two older mystery kegs:
1. Primary fermenter
2. A grill to go with your brewery, alternatively, you could make a sweet smoking setup for making smoke beers.

That was a good score, well done.
I like the thought of using one of the older ones as a Primary. I didn't even consider that. You have any clue as to how you get into that effer?

I can't say that I looked at it too closely, but I'm at a loss as to how I open that thing up. The nice thing about using the older ones as a primary is the fact that they have a tap opening down below and I already have the tapping equipment for it. It's practly a built in valve.

Awesome idea, thank you!

Oh yeah, some day I would like to get into pressure fermenting (I'm always trying to plan for the future, doesn't mean it will ever happen)... Should I get the older kegs pressure tested?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Yeah, great score! Build your dream 3 keg AG setup first. With the others you can use them as fermenters as Boerderij Kabouter suggested, or you can donate/sell them to a buddy you brew with who has also been looking for kegs. If it was me, I'd do the latter since I've got a few friends who would love to have a few to play with.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
Guinness71

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
you can donate/sell them to a buddy

I've been meaning to tell you - Hey Buddy

Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness71
I've been meaning to tell you - Hey Buddy
Hey, nice avatar. Almost as cool as mine.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Guinness71

Recipes 

I noticed that - damn you animation!

But back to my new keg owing buddy!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
TheGAC

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
Hey, nice avatar. Almost as cool as mine.
LOL... FIGHT!!!!

Mmmm... Guinness... I could really go for a Blackened One right about now...

Quick Reply