Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Maintaining Mash Temps in Stainless Steel (Keggle) Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Jewrican
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Maintaining Mash Temps in Stainless Steel (Keggle) Mash Tun

I converted a new kettle into a Mash Tun and had a rough brew day today. My mash temps did not hold well at all and I lost at least 7 or 8 degrees easily throughout the 60 minute mash.

I knew that this would be an issue and made a wrap using reflectix (folded in half and wrapped around the keg so the entire keg has 2 layers all the way around) and made a "lid" (using about 5 or 6 layers of reflectix).

What else can i do? I dont have a false bottom and use a braid / dip tube to drain the mash tun so heating the keggle is not much of an option in addition to worrying about burning the reflectix jacket as i heat the keggle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I-g-l-o-o.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Had one but replacing it to eliminate bpa from my brewing and it is warping from heat. Thousands use kegs. There must be a way to make this more efficient.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
matthewkbridges
Recipes 

Either:
1) Go massively overboard with the insulation, and use nonflammable insulation.
2) Put the keg on your burner and give it some heat (stirring the whole time) without insulation.
3) HERMS/RIMS

It's the standard trade-off when maintaining temperature in any application. You either insulate (and deal with the difficulties in adding heat through/around the insulation, and difficulties with the insulation itself such as the BPA issue you mentioned), or you heat (and deal with continually adding heat, as easily-heatable containers such as kegs are not well-insulated). I'm using a cooler now, but I plan to go HERMS in the not-too-distant future, and when I do that I may get a keg for my mash tun, as I will be able to deal with the heat issues.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

infuse or add boiling water several time during the mash during the mash...mash in on the thicks side so you can accomodate more water as you mash..just an idea??

Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What does bpa stand for?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Interesting, I have never heard about this. Is this a pretty serious health risk if you use coolers as mash tuns?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #9
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i think the truth is that we just dont know yet. BPA has become a much bigger issue recently. They say it is in water bottles and many other things that we consume product from. It has been fully banned from anything having to do with infants and children.

With that said, i would rather not take the risk of using a cooler any longer. The issue with these plastics is when they are heated. We dont heat any food in plastic in the microwave or anything anymore.

Am i going overboard with it. Quite possibly... but maybe not... id rather just remove it from my brewing that continue to use it and ignore it.

Everyone has their opinion.. i dont mean to start a huge debate on BPA's reality and facts.. i just have chosen to not use plastics personally.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

back on topic... everyone else seems to be getting great temps with this stuff... i wonder if i just need another layer of this stuff or something.

I am only doing a 5 gallon batch so i mashed in with like 3.25 gallons of water which means that i have like 12 gallons of dead space in the mash tun to lose heat in.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply