Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mad Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The chiller I'm using is a 1/4 hrs that is rated to drop 30 degrees at a minimum flow of 10 gpm. I figure worst case if my water is 90 degrees it will move it down to 60 degrees.

The chiller is fixed and ready for testing. Now I just have to clear out one of my beers in the fermentation chamber.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

bja is right. It will not cool fast enough. It will cool, but from my test I would have to chill 90 gals of water below my target temp then pump it through the plate. Kinda defeats the purpose of making things easy. Back to the drawing board.
tampa911 and tally350z have got the only other solutions for hot states I have found or maybe I better look back at the MythBusters chilling a beer as fast as you can.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
brewsme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merleti View Post
bja is right. It will not cool fast enough. It will cool, but from my test I would have to chill 90 gals of water below my target temp then pump it through the plate. Kinda defeats the purpose of making things easy. Back to the drawing board.
tampa911 and tally350z have got the only other solutions for hot states I have found or maybe I better look back at the MythBusters chilling a beer as fast as you can.
I'm not sure if you found a solution but I live in Houston so I feel your pain. I have a 14 cuft kezzer so I had extra space and dropped a 32 gal trash can with a $40 submersible pump from northern tool. Now I can chill as fast as my pump will pump the wort through my plate chiller to the low 60's and still have over half the trash can full of 40* water.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
grunt69
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I'm a first time brewer so cut me some slack on this.

I have a small personal refrigerator that has a shelf for an ice cube rack. I was thinking of running a plate chiller in the ice cube rack and putting a 3 gallon tank in the refrigerator. I picked up two 12 v pumps from Harbor Frieght and was going to run one to circulate the water and the other to circulate my wort.
Will this work or do you see some problems?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Any system that uses a tank of water that will be chilled down should be run through the exchanger (or immersion coil) in one pass where the heated coolant is collected in a separate tank. As soon as you start dumping it back into the cold water tank, you're fighting an uphill battle.

No consumer grade refrigeration unit is capable of removing 180F of heat out of 5 gallons real time. You have to give a long time to condition your coolant and then let it rip.

A small chest freezer setup to make a bunch of ice would work (mix the ice with water and pump that water through the chiller). You could also modify the controller to reach 33F and fill the entire freezer up with water.

Do not use a Harbor freight pump to move wort. They are not food grade.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
grunt69
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks, I guess I'll keep looking at chiller threads. Water here in Texas is a precious commodity and I hate to waste it.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
brewsme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt69 View Post
Thanks, I guess I'll keep looking at chiller threads. Water here in Texas is a precious commodity and I hate to waste it.
Considering I'm using 1/5 of the water I used to need to chill my wort, I feel pretty good about wasting it. However, you could collect the output and add it back to your kezzer when finished.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #18
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

If my pool water is cooler than my well I will use it on my plate chiller then run it through an exchanger in a cooler with ice and some salt to be anal on another couple degrees.
If this will not work chime in. I do not want to reinvent the square wheel.

Quick Reply