Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mad Chiller

I live in Florida so a chiller plate has its limitation. Especially with Lagers. I'm using an aquarium chiller to chill the water before it goes through the plate. My first try should be this Sunday. I can't wait.

madchiller.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you use that for fermentation temp controls? curious as to why you say it has its limitations, especially with lagers.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 03-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
Do you use that for fermentation temp controls? curious as to why you say it has its limitations, especially with lagers.
I think he is saying that his groundwater is warm so hard to chill to lager temps. Looks like he will try to remedy that with prechilling the water going into the plate chiller

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

bucfanmike you are correct.
I have a well with a 86 gal pressure tank. When it is 90 degree out my water is up past 70 degree. I should be able to set my main chiller 5 degree below my desired wort temp and let the plate do the rest. The chiller is suppose as low as the 30's . So far on paper it looks good, but we will see.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ahh ok. thanks for the clarification. Let me know how it works out, as I am in Florida too.

Kegged

Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Of coarse it ended up being cold out this weekend, but I will take readings and let you know.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Merleti
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Bad news I forgot one of the ports was cracked. Good news I'm boiling a batch now and the pool water is 59 degrees. I guess my science project will have to wait till the next batch.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
bja
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts

That chiller isn't made to cool water fast enough to keep up with what the plate chiller needs. I doubt if you see any difference using it.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
tampa911
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I live in FL as well and have been kicking around some design ideas in my head for a "2 stage" chiller.

Essentially I was thinking about building two of the common DIY wort chillers made from coils of copper tubing and connecting them together with some hose. I would drop the first chiller in a bucket of Ice water, and the second in my boil. I would then run fresh water from the hose through the coil in the ice water to drop the temp, and then through the second chiller coil in the pot in hopes of dropping the temp more quickly.

I'm sure I am not the first to think of this, has anyone with warmish ground water ever given this a shot?

If worst comes to worst I have a huge rubermaid barrel that I used for an icebath on my first brew. I could drop the pot in the icebath, run the 2 stage chiller and drop a frozen 2 liter bottle of water in the pot for good measure...

Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa911 View Post
I live in FL as well and have been kicking around some design ideas in my head for a "2 stage" chiller.

Essentially I was thinking about building two of the common DIY wort chillers made from coils of copper tubing and connecting them together with some hose. I would drop the first chiller in a bucket of Ice water, and the second in my boil. I would then run fresh water from the hose through the coil in the ice water to drop the temp, and then through the second chiller coil in the pot in hopes of dropping the temp more quickly.

I'm sure I am not the first to think of this, has anyone with warmish ground water ever given this a shot?

If worst comes to worst I have a huge rubermaid barrel that I used for an icebath on my first brew. I could drop the pot in the icebath, run the 2 stage chiller and drop a frozen 2 liter bottle of water in the pot for good measure...

I do a 2 stage with my plate chiller and my old IC. I put the IC in a homer bucket with it half filled with water and then I recirculate my wort through my plate chiller to sanitize. After about 10 minutes of running the boiling wort through the chiller I turn on the garden hose and run water through it for about 15 minutes to start chilling. Then I put ice in the bucket and cut back the flow of the wort on the output of the chiller and run it into the carboy. The wort temp going into the carboy is right around 68-70..
Kegged

Quick Reply