The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Low Refractometer Reading During Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Perch06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low Refractometer Reading During Boil

I have a handheld refractometer (model # RSG-100ATC) that I use to take gravity readings pre-fermentation. Aside from wasting less beer for measurements, I especially like the ability to monitor gravity during the boil. The problem I have recently run into is that lately it seems the gravity readings during the boil come in much lower than after the wort has cooled and is sitting in the fermentor. For instance, yesterday I brewed a Helles that measured 1.048 at the end of the boil (my target) but once it was chilled down to 50 degrees and ready for yeast it measured 1.055. This has happened a few times now. Am I simply overestimating the "automatic temperature correction" feature of the refractometer and should chill wort down before taking readings from the boil kettle? Anybody else run into this problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 740 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 1238

I've seen that as well. I usually run the pipette under cold water for a few seconds, or rest it in a cup of star san that I usually have nearby for a few seconds. It is such small sample that it cools very fast. I think the ATC works in a fairly small range, so the same should at least be close the the calibrated temp. At least that's my experience.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I always let it sit for a few minutes, sometimes the brix changes as the temperature equalizes.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Even ATC doesn't work properly at extreme ends of the temp scale. I remember an old post from AJDelange on why, even with ATC you should still test ph at room temp anyway, I know that's not directly applicable here to a refractometer, but if you're taking a beer sample with a small plastic pipette just set it aside for 2 minutes and then drip the liquid onto the refractometer after it's cooled down. The small quantity of liquid cools very rapidly.

Adam

Quick Reply