*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Low flame on banjo burner
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cubbies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis MO
Posts: 1,923
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Low flame on banjo burner

For Xmas I got a Bayou Classic Banjo Burner, like this one. I started my brewday today and it worked fine. Had to mess with the air intake a little bit, but no biggie. Now, I am about 30 minutes into my "boil" and the flame has just gone way south. I am barely even sustaining a boil and certainly not getting a rolling boil. So, is there something I should be doing, something I am missing? I mean, this is a brand new tank...assuming I didnt get ripped off at Lowe's I shouldnt be burning through a tank in half a brewday should I? I turned it all off, and lit it all back up, same story, I have messed with the air intake, same story. Any ideas?

__________________
cubbies is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 719
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
For Xmas I got a Bayou Classic Banjo Burner, like this one. I started my brewday today and it worked fine. Had to mess with the air intake a little bit, but no biggie. Now, I am about 30 minutes into my "boil" and the flame has just gone way south. I am barely even sustaining a boil and certainly not getting a rolling boil. So, is there something I should be doing, something I am missing? I mean, this is a brand new tank...assuming I didnt get ripped off at Lowe's I shouldnt be burning through a tank in half a brewday should I? I turned it all off, and lit it all back up, same story, I have messed with the air intake, same story. Any ideas?
Sounds like you are covering your bases. But I did check your location. Although you are not anywhere near the great ice/snow belt like I am, could it be your ambient temperature? Is it cold where you are? Is the wind a factor?
__________________

Last edited by Gammon N Beer; 01-03-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: To add question.
Gammon N Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,246
Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

If it is cold out and you are using propane, you may have to warm the tank. Try hot water bath first.

__________________
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cubbies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis MO
Posts: 1,923
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Yeah, it is basically freezing here...12 degrees give or take. Is that my problem? I didnt know a cold tank did that. I have brewed in the cold before. Not sure if I ever brewed in this cold, but who knows for sure. So a cold/freezing tank, loses pressure?

__________________
cubbies is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cubbies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis MO
Posts: 1,923
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If it is cold out and you are using propane, you may have to warm the tank. Try hot water bath first.
I doubt I have the means for a hot water bath. What about a heating pad?
__________________
cubbies is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,246
Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
Yeah, it is basically freezing here...12 degrees give or take. Is that my problem? I didnt know a cold tank did that. I have brewed in the cold before. Not sure if I ever brewed in this cold, but who knows for sure. So a cold/freezing tank, loses pressure?
Yep. Pretty much. As the gas 'boils' off it gets colder.
__________________
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,246
Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
I doubt I have the means for a hot water bath. What about a heating pad?
Heating pad won't add much heat, but you can try it. Hose long enough to set the tank indoors?
__________________
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cubbies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis MO
Posts: 1,923
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Heating pad won't add much heat, but you can try it. Hose long enough to set the tank indoors?
lol...maybe...but not sure if the wife would be cool with me leaving the door open when it is 12 degrees outside. Maybe I will move to the garage and see what happens.
__________________
cubbies is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
JesseRC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,784
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Did you follow the instruction that were attached to the hose to a Tee? A lot of folks open her up big time and then the bottom of the tank starts to freez and they get low pressure. On my KAB6, with 13galloons, I dont have to open it past a 1/2 turn. I believe that the suggested range.

Also, close all valves. Wait 15 min. Open tank valve slowly, all the way. Then open reg valve slowly 1/4 turn and light. While the flame is low, adjust the air intalke dial until the flame turns yellow, then turn the other way just until the yellow flame dissappears. Now you can adjust the reg valve to raise the flame and you shouldnt have to adjust the air intake again.

__________________

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

JesseRC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,246
Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
lol...maybe...but not sure if the wife would be cool with me leaving the door open when it is 12 degrees outside. Maybe I will move to the garage and see what happens.
Well, at least you can always pick up the boil from where you left off. This is going to need a lot more heat than you think. Good luck. Just have her hang a blanket over the door, or stuff it in the opening.
__________________
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Propane 32 tip burner vs. Banjo Burner/ Hurricane Half-wheel-hell Equipment/Sanitation 3 11-22-2009 11:05 AM
Yellow Flame Propane Burner mew Equipment/Sanitation 7 06-26-2009 11:11 PM
orange flame coming from burner. ChrisS Equipment/Sanitation 1 06-18-2009 10:50 AM
Loss of flame with Banjo burner 2nd Street Brewery Equipment/Sanitation 6 11-10-2008 02:01 PM
ring burner red flame? clayof2day Equipment/Sanitation 10 06-15-2006 06:43 AM