*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Low flame on banjo burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Low flame on banjo burner

For Xmas I got a Bayou Classic Banjo Burner, like this one. I started my brewday today and it worked fine. Had to mess with the air intake a little bit, but no biggie. Now, I am about 30 minutes into my "boil" and the flame has just gone way south. I am barely even sustaining a boil and certainly not getting a rolling boil. So, is there something I should be doing, something I am missing? I mean, this is a brand new tank...assuming I didnt get ripped off at Lowe's I shouldnt be burning through a tank in half a brewday should I? I turned it all off, and lit it all back up, same story, I have messed with the air intake, same story. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
For Xmas I got a Bayou Classic Banjo Burner, like this one. I started my brewday today and it worked fine. Had to mess with the air intake a little bit, but no biggie. Now, I am about 30 minutes into my "boil" and the flame has just gone way south. I am barely even sustaining a boil and certainly not getting a rolling boil. So, is there something I should be doing, something I am missing? I mean, this is a brand new tank...assuming I didnt get ripped off at Lowe's I shouldnt be burning through a tank in half a brewday should I? I turned it all off, and lit it all back up, same story, I have messed with the air intake, same story. Any ideas?
Sounds like you are covering your bases. But I did check your location. Although you are not anywhere near the great ice/snow belt like I am, could it be your ambient temperature? Is it cold where you are? Is the wind a factor?

Last edited by Gammon N Beer; 01-03-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: To add question.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If it is cold out and you are using propane, you may have to warm the tank. Try hot water bath first.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, it is basically freezing here...12 degrees give or take. Is that my problem? I didnt know a cold tank did that. I have brewed in the cold before. Not sure if I ever brewed in this cold, but who knows for sure. So a cold/freezing tank, loses pressure?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If it is cold out and you are using propane, you may have to warm the tank. Try hot water bath first.
I doubt I have the means for a hot water bath. What about a heating pad?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, it is basically freezing here...12 degrees give or take. Is that my problem? I didnt know a cold tank did that. I have brewed in the cold before. Not sure if I ever brewed in this cold, but who knows for sure. So a cold/freezing tank, loses pressure?
Yep. Pretty much. As the gas 'boils' off it gets colder.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
I doubt I have the means for a hot water bath. What about a heating pad?
Heating pad won't add much heat, but you can try it. Hose long enough to set the tank indoors?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Heating pad won't add much heat, but you can try it. Hose long enough to set the tank indoors?
lol...maybe...but not sure if the wife would be cool with me leaving the door open when it is 12 degrees outside. Maybe I will move to the garage and see what happens.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you follow the instruction that were attached to the hose to a Tee? A lot of folks open her up big time and then the bottom of the tank starts to freez and they get low pressure. On my KAB6, with 13galloons, I dont have to open it past a 1/2 turn. I believe that the suggested range.

Also, close all valves. Wait 15 min. Open tank valve slowly, all the way. Then open reg valve slowly 1/4 turn and light. While the flame is low, adjust the air intalke dial until the flame turns yellow, then turn the other way just until the yellow flame dissappears. Now you can adjust the reg valve to raise the flame and you shouldnt have to adjust the air intake again.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Hermit
Recipes 

Quote:
lol...maybe...but not sure if the wife would be cool with me leaving the door open when it is 12 degrees outside. Maybe I will move to the garage and see what happens.
Well, at least you can always pick up the boil from where you left off. This is going to need a lot more heat than you think. Good luck. Just have her hang a blanket over the door, or stuff it in the opening.

Quick Reply