Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Love temp control probe placement on direct-fired RIMS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
trev5501
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Love temp control probe placement on direct-fired RIMS

Any suggestions where to place a temp probe on my direct-fired RIMS keggle. I have seen thermowells placed at the valve outlet at the bottom of the MLT and through the wall. It seems to me that a thermowell that is placed though the wall into the center of the mash will give me the most accurate control and readings. I would love to hear opinions on this one.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
insurgus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllll. I subscribe to the idea that if you place the probe at or near the valve outlet, when you recirc to the top of the kettle the thermal mass will balance itself out pretty well and you should hit your temp without issue.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you definately want it directly downstream of the heater element (ie. right at the exit port on the RIMS tube). if you measure anywhere else, there is a good posibility of overshooting or scorching.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Title says "direct fired RIMS" so in his case, this would be just at the drain port. However, this temp has really nothing to do with shooting for a destination temp. It would have to be coming out much hotter than your desired temp. I think in a direct fired RIMS, the best placement would be in the middle of the mash.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply