Love temp control probe placement on direct-fired RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev5501

Reaction score
Any suggestions where to place a temp probe on my direct-fired RIMS keggle. I have seen thermowells placed at the valve outlet at the bottom of the MLT and through the wall. It seems to me that a thermowell that is placed though the wall into the center of the mash will give me the most accurate control and readings. I would love to hear opinions on this one.

Thanks

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllll. I subscribe to the idea that if you place the probe at or near the valve outlet, when you recirc to the top of the kettle the thermal mass will balance itself out pretty well and you should hit your temp without issue.

you definately want it directly downstream of the heater element (ie. right at the exit port on the RIMS tube). if you measure anywhere else, there is a good posibility of overshooting or scorching.

Title says "direct fired RIMS" so in his case, this would be just at the drain port. However, this temp has really nothing to do with shooting for a destination temp. It would have to be coming out much hotter than your desired temp. I think in a direct fired RIMS, the best placement would be in the middle of the mash.

Latest posts

Back