Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Looking for recommendations on new brew kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
shrike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Looking for recommendations on new brew kettle

I just started getting back into AG brewing after taking a break for ~ 5 years. Already have a few batches in primary. I do 5 gallon batches, brew outside with gas, recently started batch sparging (previously fly), and keg my beer.

My brew kettle isn't the greatest. I got it off of ebay many years ago and while SS, it has a lot of sharp edges. I'm tired of slicing my fingers, so I want to upgrade. I've read through a lot of the comparison posts (such as 4 Popular Brew Kettles Compared); they were very helpful. What I'd like is:

• 10 gallon capacity. I have been boiling from 7 1/2 gal down to 5 1/2.
  • Thermo so that I can stop abusing my original glass thermometer (for when chilling wort). Damn things bangs around and sooner or later I am going to break it.
  • Sight glass (I want to get a little more precise so that I can better calculate boil off and efficiency).
  • Do a better job with not collecting trub if possible.

My local HBS had this: Bayou Classic 10 gallon Brew Kettle which would be nearly perfect except that it didn't have the sight glass. This kettle appears to be relatively new or at least I didn't see a lot of people talking about it. It has a pretty nifty bottom that is included--the SS bottom plus a SS mesh. I am a bit worried about the dead space. It doesn't look too bad, but I would probably want to install the sight glass myself... something that I am trying to avoid. If anyone has this kettle, please chime in. This would be about $220 plus say another $30 for weldless sight glass kit plus say brush and heat shield. Might cost me a little more because I think I ruined my step bit a while back. Figure we're under $300.

The alternative is probably either this Polar Ware pot which is at $330, plus I'd have to add in the thermo (~$25) plus anything I want to add in for the filtering... false bottom or otherwise.

OR I could go with the blingman... but it looks like any additional kettle bottom would be extra... to the tune of about another $75. To get a equivalent set up we'd be looking at nearly $400.

So I guess I'm looking anyone who might have had experience with this particular Bayou, especially if they've modified it. I am pretty sure this is the way that I want to go, but since we're talking more than a couple of hundred bucks (and since I might have to drill it as well), I'd like to be really sure.

TIA.

JB

Reason: Had link to 8 gal version of Bayou. Corrected it to 10 gal version.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 57

After too many DIY projects I decided to pay upfront. Ordered a 20 gallon Stout Kettle today with sight glass, tangential port, out port and thermowell. Comes with valves, fittings, thermometer and has a conical bottom to collect trub....It's pricey though....even the 15 gallon with all that is over $500. I didn't price the 10 gallon because I wanted to go 20 even though I'm doing 5-6 gallon batches now.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
shrike Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Www.homebrewstuff.com

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/10-gall...ermometer.html

I have their heavy duty 25 gallon 3 pot setup. Great price and excellent equipment.

I highly recommend them!

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

shrike Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

They have it in bare setup, MLT with false bottom, brew kettle or HLT with sight glass.

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Francus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have this pot. It's 20 gal, but if you check his other offerings he has smaller (and larger) ones. A very good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80-QT-Qu...item2c6b1cdc1d

Then you get a weldless kit for your ball valve and a sight glass. That will be another $60 or $70 depending on where you get it. Then you need to punch the holes with a step punch and seal it all up with Rector Seal. You can have a good 20 gal pot for about $120 or so and some elbow grease.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
shrike
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
After too many DIY projects I decided to pay upfront. Ordered a 20 gallon Stout Kettle today with sight glass, tangential port, out port and thermowell. Comes with valves, fittings, thermometer and has a conical bottom to collect trub....It's pricey though....even the 15 gallon with all that is over $500. I didn't price the 10 gallon because I wanted to go 20 even though I'm doing 5-6 gallon batches now.
From here I'm assuming? This wasn't an option that I'd seen before. I'll also check it out too.

JB

Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Instawares.com. Update international stainless stockpots are the same as mdgapots sold everyehere. A step bit , weldless fitting and you are there. PM me with questions. They have pots of all sizes.

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have several friends that homebrew and have different types of store bought kettles. No matter how fancy or expensive they are, everyone prefers the converted kegs that I use with sight tubes and thermo's. They're very functional and way cheaper to make as long as you can acquire a keg. Bobby at Brewhardware.com has every piece of hardware you would need to do this weather you weld fittings or go weldless. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
jdub1782
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a look at the stainless kettles from www.spikebrewing.com. I have the 15 gallon with two welded fittings (horizontal) and I use it for both 5 and 10 gallon batches. I have been very impressed with this pot.

If you are interested in his pots, check the vendor section of hbt as he sometimes runs specials for members.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Ajgeo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here is another option. These kettles are nice and cheap.

Quick Reply