Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > looking for pump input!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #41
kevin509
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Doesn't work, pump accepts a range of DC voltage and will attempt to compensate. Valve on output works best

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #42
Lennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a Topsflo pump and just tried it out on a kettle with water I brought to near boiling (97C), ran it for an hour and at temp it pumped 2gal/min. Good enough for a whirlpool, I'm happy. I'd recommend buying from the link posted here, I gave a little less but have to use a battery charger and spent a few bucks for alligator clips.

The thing is completely quiet and primes easily, I positioned it about 18" below the kettle and put a ball valve on the outflow although for whirlpooling I'll be running it full out. Just ordered some cam lock QD's so I can switch it out for a drain hose, and use it for both of my kettles.

edited to change 97F to 97C

Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #43
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I bought a Topsflo pump and just tried it out on a kettle with water I brought to near boiling (97F), ran it for an hour and at temp it pumped 2gal/min. Good enough for a whirlpool, I'm happy. I'd recommend buying from the link posted here, I gave a little less but have to use a battery charger and spent a few bucks for alligator clips.

The thing is completely quiet and primes easily, I positioned it about 18" below the kettle and put a ball valve on the outflow although for whirlpooling I'll be running it full out. Just ordered some cam lock QD's so I can switch it out for a drain hose, and use it for both of my kettles.
Did you mean 97C?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #44
dutchcanuck
Recipes 

I connected it directly to the kettlevalve and pumped a boiling oxyclean solution for 20 minutes through it and it ran no problem. I'll actually be brewing with it this weekend and I will post my results via YouTube.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #45
Squeeky
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Those that own this pump, how are the fittings attached? Is it possible to switch the brass to stainless. Looking at using 3 pumps with my automated system is this is a great budget solution.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #46
Lennie
Recipes 

97C, yes sorry.

I can't tell if brass fittings are molded with the Ryton housing or just screwed in. I'm not going to try taking it apart and risk breaking it. You might email one of the suppliers and ask. Greatbrewseh coat the inside of the brass anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #47
Lennie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcanuck View Post
I connected it directly to the kettlevalve and pumped a boiling oxyclean solution for 20 minutes through it and it ran no problem. I'll actually be brewing with it this weekend and I will post my results via YouTube.
I was very tempted to just screw mine into the kettle valve too, wasn't sure it'd prime properly though. They recommend orienting it a foot under the kettle. I might give it a try when I get my QDs in, just putting it on a camlock and clipping it on/off the kettle.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #48
dutchcanuck
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I was very tempted to just screw mine into the kettle valve too, wasn't sure it'd prime properly though. They recommend orienting it a foot under the kettle. I might give it a try when I get my QDs in, just putting it on a camlock and clipping it on/off the kettle.
Lennie,

It prime without issue. I even had it pumping the oxyclean solution through my therminator which was level with the boil kettle. The thing that I like most about this pump is how quite it is.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #49
Lennie
Recipes 

I'll give it a shot, it would really make for a short whirlpool loop this way.

The things are almost silent, I agree. And so small.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #50
brewhokie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is there any kind of mount included with the pump. If not how have you guys mounted these to you brew rigs?

Quick Reply