Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Long-Term clean bottle storage with san-star inside?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
sideshow_ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Long-Term clean bottle storage with san-star inside?

I've changed from bottling to kegging, but I want to be able to give people bottles on a moment's notice. I was considering cleaning a number of bottles, filling them with san-star and capping/closing them, so that when I want to give them a bottle I just dump out the solution, rinse a little and fill 'er up. Anyone think of, or know of, any reasons not to do this? Is it really no better than sanitizing and drying them and then capping them until use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Sometimes if I leave a bucket full of starsan solution for a while I will get a sludge that precipitates on the bottom. I dunno if this would happen with capped bottles or not.

You should not have to rinse starsan. That ruins the point.

Why not just keep a spray bottle filled with starsan, give the clean bottles about 8-10 sprays, drain into a cup, (don't rinse!) and fill the bottles with brew.

That is my process and I havent had anyone complain of gushers/infections. They usually don't wait too long to drink them anyhow so its not that big of deal.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Star-san requires a low pH to act as a sanitizer. Over long term storage the pH will rise and it will not longer be an effective sanitizer. I wouldn't store anything in it.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds unnecessary to me, i just keep a bucket of starsan around all the time (keep a lid on it between brews, and typically swap it out every brew day) I keep a case of clean bottles in my freezer (cold glass foams less), pour a little starsan into a bottle, swirl around, dump and fill (with starsan foam in it) and cap. No problems

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Quick Reply