Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Little help on equipment decision?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OldStyler - at this point with a kit, it is as simple as this. Boil water, add some extract and hops. If you didn't add all the extract at the beginning, add the rest at the end.... put in bucket, if you have less than 5.5 gallons (or target volume) top off. If you have target or more.. yeast and cover. In other words, you should be fine. Actaully with a more water, you will get marginally better hops utilization... Athough as a home brewer, it is probably negligable.

Anyhow, most kits are written with the instruction figuring you have a 5 gallon pot and to avoid boil overs. If you have a 10 gallon pot, I say fill it to 5 gallons and go. BTW, if it is Aluminum I think you have to do a boil of water in it first to season it, but I'm not sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyler View Post
- if I go with the 10 gallon kettle to do full boils I will need to buy the thermometer that screws into the kettle,
No, you can still use a hand held thermometer

Quote:
I'm not looking to go to all grain anytime in the next couple of years as I'm in grad school and don't have the time/space/money to spend on that big of an upgrade.
TIME: All-grain would only add the extra hour and a half it takes to heat strike water and mash your own wort.
SPACE: No more space than a 36 qt picnic cooler.
MONEY: I haven't bought extract, but from what I hear, grain is cheaper. Your biggest expense was just taken care of. The kettle.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
OldStyler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
No, you can still use a hand held thermometer

Ah, my kettle already has the valve welded in there, so if I just leave that hole open sounds like it might get kind of messy... figured the thermometer is kinda neat as well.

TIME: All-grain would only add the extra hour and a half it takes to heat strike water and mash your own wort.
SPACE: No more space than a 36 qt picnic cooler.
MONEY: I haven't bought extract, but from what I hear, grain is cheaper. Your biggest expense was just taken care of. The kettle.
I know someone recommended I look into all grain, but I don't even own a burner for this new kettle - much of the decision about this kettle has to do with initial outlays of money. Either way, I'm not confident enough in my extract brews to move to all grain even if I had the desire.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I know someone recommended I look into all grain, but I don't even own a burner for this new kettle - much of the decision about this kettle has to do with initial outlays of money. Either way, I'm not confident enough in my extract brews to move to all grain even if I had the desire.
Too each his own.

Not trying to convert you just inform you.
You're only adding the step of making your own wort instead of buying it. Put hot water in a cooler and add grain. Let it sit for an hour. Drain. Rinse. Simple.

Hey I just noticed your name "OldStyler". Cool. I'm originally from a south suburb of Chicago and I drank Old Style exclusivley until I left in 1982.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
OldStyler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Too each his own.

Not trying to convert you just inform you.
You're only adding the step of making your own wort instead of buying it. Put hot water in a cooler and add grain. Let it sit for an hour. Drain. Rinse. Simple.

Hey I just noticed your name "OldStyler". Cool. I'm originally from a south suburb of Chicago and I drank Old Style exclusivley until I left in 1982.
I might get there one day - like you mentioned I already have the kettle... and if I decide to move to 10 gallon batches could it double as a lauter tun? I'm not terribly familiar with all grain, except that the inputs are in fact cheaper, but all of a sudden water chemistry is a factor...

You got it man! Noticed the girl in the cubs jersey - while not a cubs fan, Old Style is still legit. Not that many HBers would agree, but what can I say, I'm not above the Schlitz/PBR/OldStyles on occasion!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
but all of a sudden water chemistry is a factor...
You have some misconceptions on what it takes to brew all grain. Water chemistry is not a big deal. When I first started I was pretty crazy about water adjustment. Now I use 50% RO water(you can use distilled) 50% tap water and I only adjust 2 things. I can't remember exactly what they are off the top of my head. When I get home I can post it.

Here is an interesting post from a reputable poster named Revvy about small batch brewing.

Mini mash

Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
OldStyler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
You have some misconceptions on what it takes to brew all grain.
No doubt. I guess I just saw all these people being worried about water chemistries and figured I wasn't going to get involved. I was thinking about doing a partial mash though since I have 2 kettles now. I'll have to find some free time and do some reading, but I imagine it can't be terribly difficult. But for now I'm just hoping that the 2 burners on the stove can get 6 gallons or so boiling... it does cover both burners.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
No doubt. I guess I just saw all these people being worried about water chemistries and figured I wasn't going to get involved. I was thinking about doing a partial mash though since I have 2 kettles now. I'll have to find some free time and do some reading, but I imagine it can't be terribly difficult. But for now I'm just hoping that the 2 burners on the stove can get 6 gallons or so boiling... it does cover both burners.
Sweet.

Quick Reply