The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Little Giant vs March Pumps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Bigscience
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Little Giant vs March Pumps

After a recent thread I saw here about pump alternatives to the March 809, I decided to put the facts out there so people have a reference source. Disclaimer, I own 2 LG 3-MD-MT-HCs and have had no problems for over 12 years. I have never used or seen a March 809 in use.

LG 3-MD-MT-HC

Thermally Protected, Open, Fan-Cooled Motor
Sleeve Bearings
6' Power Cord with 3-Prong Plug
Specific Gravity to 1.1
Fluid Temperature to 200 Degrees F.
Ambient Air Temperature to 77 Degrees F.
Run-dry capability up to 8 hours
NOTE: Consult your local distributor or the
factory for applications with higher ambient
temperatures, specific gravities and viscosities.

Motor ..................................1/25 HP Open FC
RPM ..................................3100
Maximum flow rate ..............8.5GPM
Maximum Head ....................16.2’
Intermittent Liquid Temp. ....200ÞF
Specific gravity ....................1.1
Intake ..................................1/2” MNPT
Discharge ............................1/2” MNPT
Magnet Housing ..................Glass-filled Polyphenylene Sulfide (e.g. Ryton®)
Volute ..................................Glass-filled Polyphenylene Sulfide (e.g. Ryton®)
Impeller Assembly ................Glass-filled Polyphenylene Sulfide (e.g. Ryton®) w/carbon bushing
O-ring ..................................Viton®
Thrust washers ....................Ceramic
Shaft....................................Ceramic
Weight (lbs.) ......................6.5

Electrical
578603 ....................115V, 50/60Hz, 1.3 amps,
94 watts, 1PH 6’ power cord, 3-prong plug.

While the LG is only rate to 200F the materials are rated well above this. It should also be noted that Ryton is also used in the March 809.
Polyphenylene sulfide (Ryton) is an engineering plastic, a high-performance thermoplastic. PPS can be molded, extruded, or machined to high tolerances. In its pure solid form, it may be opaque white to light tan in color. Maximum service temperature is 218 °C (424 °F). PPS has not been found to dissolve in any solvent at temperatures below about 200 °C (392 °F).

PUMP CONSTRUCTION
The patented Little Giant magnetic drive pump design consists of a cylindrical drive magnet attached to the motor shaft which rotates around a chemical resistant plastic separator housing. Inside this housing is a magnet completely encapsulated in chemical resistant plastic, and is fixed to the impeller. The impeller assembly is free to rotate on a spindle that is supported at both ends. The spindle is held captive and does not turn. Front and rear thrust washers are utilized as wear bearings. The washers are held captive and do not revolve. This prevents wear on the shaft. With the magnetic coupling the motor drives the impeller. This coupling eliminates the conventional shaft seal and its possibility of leakage. Two series are available. The HC series handles highly corrosive chemicals at elevated temperatures because of the unique materials used in its construction. The SC series handles semicorrosive fluids. Both series are available with various size pumps, and are available in 115V or 230V, 50/60 Hz versions. The HC models utilize a carbon bushing between the impeller and spindle. The use of this carbon bushing will allow these pumps (HC series) to run dry (without fluid) for up to eight hours at a time. Do not allow the SC models to run dry. They do not have the carbon bushing and heat build up caused by friction will damage the parts when SC models are run dry. All wetted parts can be serviced by removing 4 wing nuts that hold the volute to the housing. The pump head components can easily be replaced in the field if necessary.

PUMP MATERIALS
The plastic parts on SC series pumps are made of glass filled polypropylene. The plastic parts on the HC series pumps are glass filled Ryton®. The spindle shaft which is stationary and the captive thrust washers (front and rear) are alumina ceramic. The O-ring seal is Buna-N for the SC series, and Viton® for HC series. The HC series utilizes a pure carbon bushing in the impeller to enable the pump to run dry for periods up to eight hours at a time.

INSTALLATION
Your Little Giant pump is delivered to you completely preassembled and pretested from the factory. It is ready for immediate use. The pump may be installed in any position. It may be mounted vertically with the pump head down. Proper plumbing connections should be made, see specification table to determine what size intake and discharge your pump has. Use a thread sealer on all pipe connections and hand tighten only. Note: On HC models a roll of Teflon® pipe seal tape is supplied. Do not use a wrench to tighten the HC model connections, excessive force may damage the plastic part. Make sure the wing nuts are tight before operating the pump. Motor nameplates list all electrical data. Make sure the pump is connected to proper voltage before operating. When wiring pumps with no plug, the green (or green/yellow) wire is the ground. The other two wires are line (live). Do not allow the SC models to run dry (without fluid). However, because the HC models utilize a carbon bushing in the impeller they maybe allowed to run dry for periods up to eight hours at a time. These pumps are not submersible, operate the pumps only in the in-line mode. Do not put the units in liquid. Pump should be installed in a dry area and protected from splash. These pumps are not self priming models, they must be installed so that the pump head (volute) is flooded at the time the pump is to be started. That is, the inlet of the pump must be below the level of the surface of the liquid being pumped. (Figure 1). Do not restrict the intake side of the pump. Connections on the intake side should not be of smaller inside diameter pipe or tubing or hose than the intake inside diameter of the intake thread designation. If reduced flow is required restrict the discharge side. Installing a valve or other type of restriction device on the discharge side is the proper method for reducing flow from the pump. When using a valve the pump can be throttled to provide various flow rates and pressures without harming the motor or the pump parts. The motors on these models contain sleeve type bearings. These bearings should be oiled every six months with two to three drops of S.A.E. 20 weight non-detergent oil. The oil holes are located on top at each end of the motor.

Head (ft) Flow (GPH) Head (m) Flow (LPH)
1 500 0.3 1892.7
3 455 0.9 1722.4
6 425 1.8 1608.8
9 355 2.7 1343.8
15 100 4.6 378.5

Manual:
http://franklin-electric.com/media/documents/993236.pdf

Specifications:
http://franklin-electric.com/media/documents/995778.pdf

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Bigscience
Recipes 

Default March 809

809-PL-HS Mag Drive Pump
Polysulfone (Front Housing), Stainless Steel (Rear Housing), Teflon (Thrust Washer), Silicone (O-Ring), Ryton/Teflon/Glass (Impeller)

DESCRIPTION:
Your March hot water booster pump is a non-self priming unit built to handle liquid transfer in heating and cooling operations. Applications include home heating systems, solar heating systems, heat recovery systems and recirculating water in domestic and commercial hot water tanks. Contact the factory for applications other than those listed, and for liquids other than water.

Installation:
The pump is assembled and ready for installation. The pump should be mounted with the Electric Conduit Box on the bottom. The oil ports will then be on the top of the motor. The pump housing should be installed with the arrow on our housing pointing in the direction of the water flow within the system. If the arrow indicating water flow is not in the direction you require when the motor is in position, remove the four round housing screws (Item 1) holding the housing to the motor assembly and rotate the housing assembly as required. Replace the four screws and tighten. The pump is made up of two basics sub-assemblies. They are the Wet End Assembly and the Motor/Bracket/Drive Magnet Assembly. To separate the 2 assemblies, simply remove the 4 round head screws (Item 1). The pump will then separate into the 2 sub-assemblies. The water will still be contained within the Wet End assembly unless you loosen the screws on the rear of the Wet End Assembly.

LUBRICATION:
The motor should be oiled at least once a year at the start of the heating season with 4 or 5 drops of SAE 20 weight non-detergent oil in each bearing. If the pump is used year around it should be oiled every six months. Do not over oil. No oiling is required on the ball bearing motors.

Max Flow 6 GPM 18.9 LPM
Max Head 12.1 FT 2.5 M
Power .04 HP .029 KW
Electrical 115V 50/60HZ or 230V 50/60HZ
Submersible Non-Submersible
60HZ 50HZ

Performance Curve:
http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/...ance_Curve.pdf

Manual:
http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/...ump_Manual.pdf

First they came for my Four Loko and I said nothing, then they came for my Double Imperial Espresso Stout.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've been using a Little Giant 3-MD-MT-HC pump for nearly 8 years without a single problem. I've found it to be a very reliable and trouble free work horse. It also runs very quietly which I like a lot. So quiet that sometimes I have to check to see if it's actually running. I give the LG a big thumbs up. I really like how easy it is to remove the pump head for inspection and cleaning. There really hasn't been any maintenance required other than that. The 200*F max temp spec is not very applicable to our applications as we are running at very low pressures compared to what it is designed to handle.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I have not owned a march, but my LG works great. It can run dry for 8 hrs without damage. March doesn't say that. The LG is super quiet. It's quieter than my sump pumps, for sure, at a higher GPM.

Other than that, they are basically the same. March claims that everyone stole their design, including LG. Certainly a Chugger is a direct copy of a march, from what I've seen.

I have heard that the LGs move a bit more liquid at the same rating than the March. (seen in youtube videos...)

EDIT: I have the 2-MD-HC. Its a 1/25th HP pump. It's enough for me. Maybe not totally enough for a kick but clean in place system, but enough for my recirculating chill cycle. Easily get a nice whirlpool w/ 15 gals. (wow, after writing that.mmm... I'd like to be in a whirlpool with 15 gals at once...ok, back to reality). With 2 ft of head, I get 5.5 GPM. Just had to make sure I didn't have any small bore fittings in there...

Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

We wont say that (8hrs w/o damage) due to the fact that most of our customers run these in industrial applications. And there's no way to verify that time frame. If you wanted a carbon bushing in the impeller for instances of running dry, we do install them as options. But there's a reason the medical industry wont use carbon bushings in ANY application....the carbon bushings give off particulates as they wear....will it harm you...probably not. But keep in mind that carbon is a free radical.
As far as comparing the 809 to the LG-3....they are not in the same class. It would be like comparing a 1/2 ton Chevy short bed standard cab pickup to a 1/2 ton ford extended cab long bed....both are pickups, both are 1/2 tons but they are not quite the same. A closer comparison to the LG-3 would be our series 3 pump like the BC-3B-MD we just came out with for the brewers. 10gpm , 20' of head height, 1/15hp and made of the same Polysulphone plastic as the 809's are made from so they are rated to 250*F
But again its a close but not exact comparison.

Tell ya what Bigscience, PM me your addy and I will send you a BC-3B pump for you to do a side by side for everyone.

-Walter

Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 9 Posts

How about I pm you my address, you send me a pump, and I'll report back anything you want me to say ;-)

J/k...I already use yours and it was one of my best brewing investments.

Matt

Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

-Walter

Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Bigscience
Recipes 

PM sent. Now to design some quantitative tests.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Henrythe9th
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have used both a LG MD-5-HC 1/8 hp and a March AC-5d-MC 1/8HP and the LG wins in both flow and head

Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrythe9th View Post
I have used both a LG MD-5-HC 1/8 hp and a March AC-5d-MC 1/8HP and the LG wins in both flow and head
Not quite sure how thats possible since they both have the exact same output specs but ok

-Walter

Quick Reply