Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Limited Budget, what should I get?

View Poll Results: Please read the thread for option descriptions
Option 1: Portable CO2 System 4 18.18%
Option 2: Mini All-Grain equipment 18 81.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #1
bsay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Limited Budget, what should I get?

I have a few options for some new equipment to get, but I am on a limited budget. I have priced out the options, and the finalists are listed below. But first, a little background information.

I am in charge of providing homebrewed rootbeer for monthly meetings. I have a keg in my kegging system (green top) that is dedicated to this task. My 5lb. CO2 tank and triple gauge regulator is a pain to lug to these meetings every month. Not to mention, having to take apart and reassemble my kegging system each time. This makes me want to get a more portable CO2 system (Lowe's Kobalt tool CO2 system).

At the same time, I am looking to do all-grain in mini 2.5 gal batches, and could get that equipment instead. For those of you who didn't see my all-grain/om thread, 2.5 gal batches are the largest AG I can do in my limited space, FYI.

So the options are....drumroll...

Option 1:
Portable CO2 system. Kobalt regulator from Lowe's. Continue brewing extract for now. Easier to take rootbeer to monthly meetings

Option 2:
Cooler MLT, 2 5gal Better Bottles w/ stoppers & airlocks, misc. All-Grain equipment. Continue to lug around bulky CO2 setup.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Dude, this is a beer forum. You come and ask us if you should buy equipment to advance your beer making skills or make your sody-pop chores easier. Come on. You had to know what we'd say.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Kegerator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Dude, this is a beer forum. You come and ask us if you should buy equipment to advance your beer making skills or make your sody-pop chores easier. Come on. You had to know what we'd say.
+1
Beer is the reason we are here. If you are going more portable with your beer it would be a tougher choice. But this is no choice, your soda chore is a chore, let it be a chore. Beer is the stuff of life that lets us expand our view and enjoy life. I think you need a choice #3 Keep saving up for full all grain system. It is worth saving up for.

Got Homebrew?

www.KegPasties.com

Old 09-14-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
tjferris
Recipes 

if you have to ask THAT question in a beer forum you should obviously spend your money on the rootbeer setup and then pick yourself up a 12 pack of milwaukee's best light you cheap bastard.................hahahaha jusk jokin around with you, i couldn't help myself with the name of the thread, If i were you i'd go with the all grain setup and troll ebay for one of these for the rootbeer Home Brew Cornelius Keg CO2 Charger w Disconnect - eBay (item 160280324567 end time Sep-16-08 07:11:43 PDT) cheaper than the lowes setup and maybe that will allow you to do both.....

Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #5
tjferris
Recipes 

another idea, find a used paintball co2 tank and add a small single regulator for use in your rootbeer setup.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yea, yea, I know SODA is a four letter word here in the beer forum. Fact is, I'm happy to lug a keg of soda to the meetings, but I'd like to be able to make it a bit more portable. But ever since seeing the Macguyver brewing system, I've wanted to try small scale all-grain.

i guess the point here is that the AG system gives me some extra capability, rather than just making what I already do easier.

I will look into getting a charger, but how good are those for soda anyway?

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Last edited by bsay; 09-14-2008 at 03:15 AM.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #7
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Spend your money on the all grain system. Tell everyone else to bring their own damn soda.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
tjferris
Recipes 

20 oz paint ball tank, they have a 9 oz for a few bucks cheaper
Amazon.com: Pure Energy 20oz CO2 Tank: Sports & Outdoors

adapter for your the regulator
BREWER'S EDGE® PAINTBALL REGULATOR ADAPTER @ Williams Brewing

Old 09-14-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

A VERY obvious choice.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
tjferris
Recipes 

i think the charger is a good option, don't know a whole lot about soda but it is not dispensed at HIGH co2 pressure it is still under 30psi i believe. The only down fall to the charger is no regulator so you don't know how charged it is. Just give it a good pump to start dispensing and when it starts to flow slower giver her another quick burst. The AG brewing components will truely make a better beer for you and i think you'll be happier switching to all grain and haveing GREAT BEER rather than blowing your wad on a great dispenser for good root beer dispensed easy. Just my 0.2 YMMV

Quick Reply