Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Life span of mixed BTF sanitizer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
baker0408
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Life span of mixed BTF sanitizer

I used BTF sanitizer on everything. I love the stuff. Dip and done. However, I want to have a gallon jug or something available for quick jobs since it is a pain to make anything less than 5 gallons. (1 tbsp per 5 gallons).

My question is, how long can I keep a premixed solution in another container (ie. old water jug or spray bottle) without losing effectiveness? Is there a sanitizer that will keep longer mixed?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No idea on the lifespan - star-san seems to be the method of choice to have a longer-life sanitizer - but you could mix up 1/2 teaspoon to 3 quarts + 1-1/3 cups and be at the same concentration (1 teaspoon is 1/3 tablespoon, and the amount of water given is 1/6 of 5 gallons)

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Repsychler
Recipes 

I believe Iodophor has a fairly short life span once mixed. If you want to keep something on hand for extended periods of time, Star san is the way to go.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsychler View Post
I believe Iodophor has a fairly short life span once mixed. If you want to keep something on hand for extended periods of time, Star san is the way to go.
You believe wrong....Starsan and iodophor are about the same IF you are using distilled or pre-boiled water. If you are mixing with tap water, then the loss of effectiveness is quite rapid, for both of them. (The minerals in the water causes both to fade out in power and effectiveness quite rapidly.)

Iodophor works til the straw color fades....(a couple days in open air, longer in sealed containers.)

I keep a spray bottle filled with iodophor and distilled water...It stays effective in that sealed medium for a couple months...the color doesn't fade for quite awhile.

One thing a lot of us do is that when the color starts to fade in a bucket full of iodophor, we add a few drops until the straw color returns.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That's why I like Iodaphor. It's got a built in strength indicator.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
That's why I like Iodaphor. It's got a built in strength indicator.

I thought starsan did too...or is the only way to tell with ph strips?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply