Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Let me see your BIAB setup!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Let me see your BIAB setup!

I've got a 10 gal RiMS system ...it works great, and I'm not going to change a thing. BUT, I guy can't live on one brew rig alone!

My plan is to build a 5 gal BIAB set up, recirculated, temp controlled, electrically heated... but before I venture down that path, I'd love for you all to impart your knowledge and photos so we can all learn from what you've done.

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

specialkaye has posted some of his stuff, I can't remember the thread. I think it's linked in his signature, so if you go to his profile you should be able to find it pretty easily.

I just do it on the stove with a bag... you don't want to see my cookware, do ya?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm doing a really complicated version of a BIAB rig...it incorporates the features you mentioned. Check my sig for the UniBrew.....

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

One of the things I'm considering is the basket lined with stainless mesh. My concern with this set up is the void around the side of the baskets with respect to the flow of wort through the grain bed. Fluid tends to take the path of leased resistance, so rather than have the wort flow from top to bottom through the bed, it would flow laterally to sides. This would result in stratification of temperatures among other things.

One solution I was thinking of is a tube extending through the center of the mash (to about 3/4 of the total depth) where it is allowed to disperse the wort throughout the mash. The idea is that the flow if the wort would then extend both vertically down and laterally.

I'll try and sketch up some diagrams, but in the mean time, anyone see any flaws with this?

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown

Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Man. I do BIAB for simplicity so don't have anything fancy. But I'm subbing to see what you come up with. Sounds interesting.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

John- I see where you're coming from, but I think it's one of those deals where the homebrew scale will be less affected. I.e...you don't have a big enough mashtun to have a noticeable effect. I bet you'll still get wicked good efficiency.....think about it...you're rinsing the grain at many different points of the mash....the sparge moves through all directions vs. top to bottom. I bet it'll be fine, no need to complicate it. Hell, I guess it's the same concept as using a bag (which allows the wort to go ANY direction), right?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
John- I see where you're coming from, but I think it's one of those deals where the homebrew scale will be less affected. I.e...you don't have a big enough mashtun to have a noticeable effect. I bet you'll still get wicked good efficiency.....think about it...you're rinsing the grain at many different points of the mash....the sparge moves through all directions vs. top to bottom. I bet it'll be fine, no need to complicate it. Hell, I guess it's the same concept as using a bag (which allows the wort to go ANY direction), right?
Yeah, I put the same question to slnies on the phone last night, and he proposed that I simply agitate the mash (either by stirring occasionally or by mechanical means constantly). His idea was that since it's a BIAB set up, there really is no filtering done by the mash - in other words I'd just be recirculating and agitating to maintain temps. what do you think?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm trying a "biab" tomorrow, or early saturday AM.

I'm just using my brew pot on my propane burner. Once I hit strike temp, flame off, grain bag goes in, stir the heck out of it, and wrap a sleeping bag around it. Wait thirty min, stir. Wrap again. Wait thirty min, stir. Wrap again. Iodine test. If conversion is complete drain bag, squeeze bag, boil!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
I'm trying a "biab" tomorrow, or early saturday AM.

I'm just using my brew pot on my propane burner. Once I hit strike temp, flame off, grain bag goes in, stir the heck out of it, and wrap a sleeping bag around it. Wait thirty min, stir. Wrap again. Wait thirty min, stir. Wrap again. Iodine test. If conversion is complete drain bag, squeeze bag, boil!
Yup.

But it's nice seeing people do complex / neat builds like these. Can't wait til I'm out of school and have play money!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Birdgunner
Recipes 

Mine is a very simple Brew In A Basket and we'll see how it works very soon.
My basket is a 17 gallon, 316SS pot I scored on ebay. Had my local metal man take his plasma and cut out the bottom and then tack weld in some 16ga perfed sheet (3/32" holes x 5/32" stagger). The basket goes to get an acid+electricity bath next week :-)

My kettle is 100qt that Greenmonti was kind enough to insert the 1" coupler for me...

After the basket gets cleaned up the final piece of the puzzle is to test the darn thing out!

Quick Reply