Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > LED light and beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
Phideaoux44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default LED light and beer

I have recently been the fortunate recipient of one of those monster commercial fridges, the ones with two sliding glass doors. It looks really snazzy with it all lit up and whatnot but I was bothered when I remembered how I always read to "never let your beer get in the sunlight or fluorescent light". I know there's a debate there for some people, but I personally believe it affects it. I lager as well as store my hops, yeast, and beer in it.

Then I found out that you can get these fluorescent tube shaped led lights that just snap in like a normal fluorescent (no ballast mods or anything) and then rock and roll with led light. So my question is can I switch out the fluorescents in the fridge's interior and use these LED's without trouble or will the same problem occur. I'm imagining that they give off far less UV but I'm hoping that this panel of experts before me might have a definitive answer.

Thank you in advance.

I should put something here...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good questions - and I don't have an answer - but keep in mind you said it has glass doors - so any natural light will get in there too, no?

Perhaps you could blackout the doors and switch the inside lights off? Is that an option?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
M@!
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know they use LED's for salt water aquarium lighting, my guess is the are putting of plenty of UV.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #4
Phideaoux44

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_Brewer View Post
Good questions - and I don't have an answer - but keep in mind you said it has glass doors - so any natural light will get in there too, no?

Perhaps you could blackout the doors and switch the inside lights off? Is that an option?
Oh it has a switch inside where you can turn it off. I just like the idea of having a light in there when I'm searching through my hop containers and whatnot. Also, it's in the garage and whenever the door is open, I throw a shirt over the carboy to make sure it gets no sunlight. It spends most of its time in the dark though.

Basically I'm just seeing if there's a way to have A light on there without it messing everything up.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I usually take a paper shopping bag and put a carboy neck sized hole at the top and cover it. If I really need to take a peak just lift it up. Don't know about the light, but why take the chance.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Phideaoux44

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

So nobody out there knows whether or not LED's emit appreciable amounts of UV?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If your only turning the light on to search for hops or something, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to leave the light on to display your fermenting wort, that might be another issue altogether.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

LEDs produce light in very specific wavelengths this is one of the reasons they are so efficient. as I understand it only UV light really skunks beer, UV light is 400nm and lower. so any LEDs rated above 400nm the only problem is that LEDs are usually specific colors which may not give you the color light you want.
From what Ive found online white LEDs are really a mix of red green and blue LEDs they produce little to no UV light.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Phideaoux44

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, right now I only turn it on intermittently. But I'm trying to have it to where I can see the fermentation (years later and I STILL can stare at it all day). Furthermore (but of less concern) is the fact that the marquis light on the top of the fridge is wired to the inside light and it would be nice to not have to rewire it so that it would come on without the interior. I am imagining that LED's emit very very little UV and that this idea would work, but I'm hoping one of our resident geniuses here will pipe up and hit me with a dose of certainty.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Not sure about the LED, but I have a fluorescent light right over my fermintifreezer. The fluorescent light only hits the carboy for a few minutes anytime I need to check on it (not often) so I'm not worried about it. I think I read that it takes a couple minutes to skunk a glass of beer in sunlight, takes a couple hours to skunk one under fluorescent.

Edit: UV and near UV can skunk beer, keep it above 500 nm

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply