Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Leaving immersion chiller in boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
evanmars
EAC Wannabe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Leaving immersion chiller in boil

Any reason not to leave the immersion chiller in for the entire duration of the boil instead of putting it in during the last 10 to 15 minutes?

Primary - 0
Secondary - 0
Kegged - 0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Nope. I put mine in the start to avoid the 5 minutes of non-boil when it cools the wort down when you stick it in.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

You could get really fancy and have another pot circulating boiling water through your immersion chiller, but that's a little silly if you can do full boils already. Other than that, it will just get in your way for longer.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I may be the only brewer on these forums who does not boil their immersion chiller. Boiling it for 15 minutes or longer, or any length of time, really, just seems like complete paranoid overkill to me. The hoses and fittings get hot, you have work around it, and I'm not sure I want that big hunk of oxidizing metal sitting in my boiling wort all that time (which is probably paranoia on my part).

I clean my immersion chiller in warm, soapy water before putting it away, so it's clean on brewday. When I need it on brewday, I rinse it off with hot water and give it a quick dunk in sanitzer and that is all. I have never had an infection, and if I ever do get one I doubt it will come from my chiller.

Just my $0.02...carry on.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Last edited by Beerthoven; 04-08-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
evanmars
EAC Wannabe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts

I am building an electric HERMS stand and am thinking about putting a chiller coil in the kettle similar to the coil in the HLT. Use something like swagelock fittings so I can remove the coil to clean and quick connects for the water in and out.
I usually use a hop bag and it is a pain to have to lift the bag out of the wort, put the chiller in while the hop bag is draining, then put the bag bag in, in the center of the chiller.

Primary - 0
Secondary - 0
Kegged - 0

Old 04-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven View Post
I think I may be the only brewer on these forums who does not boil their immersion chiller. Boiling it for 15 minutes or longer, or any length of time, really, just seems like complete paranoid overkill to me. The hoses and fittings get hot, you have work around it, and I'm not sure I want that big hunk of oxidizing metal sitting in my boiling wort all that time (which is probably paranoia on my part).

I clean my immersion chiller in warm, soapy water before putting it away, so it's clean on brewday. When I need it on brewday, I rinse it off with hot water and give it a quick dunk in sanitzer and that is all. I have never had an infection, and if I ever do get one I doubt it will come from my chiller.

Just my $0.02...carry on.
Clean mine well after brewing, and then stick it in my starsan solution bucket for about 15 minutes before I go to use it. No problems, and I don't have to cool down the hot copper you get by boiling it (even though copper is great at heat dissipation).

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmars View Post
I am building an electric HERMS stand and am thinking about putting a chiller coil in the kettle similar to the coil in the HLT. Use something like swagelock fittings so I can remove the coil to clean and quick connects for the water in and out.I usually use a hop bag and it is a pain to have to lift the bag out of the wort, put the chiller in while the hop bag is draining, then put the bag bag in, in the center of the chiller.
brilliant. that is a fantastic idea and I am on my way to the store to make my very own.... seriously.... going to add a QD for a whirlpool port as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven View Post
I think I may be the only brewer on these forums who does not boil their immersion chiller.
One more here. I put my IC in my Star-San bucket for about 5 minutes then into the wort at flameout. A quick hose-down afterward and it's ready for the next run.

-Joe

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If anything, I would think the copper would be beneficial my supplying some trace nutrients. Entire copper breweries have been common place for years. I've even heard that a brewery tried to switch to all stainless couldn't replicate their brews until they realized the copper was crucial. Once it was added to their system they were golden. Anyone remember the name of the brewery I'm thinking of? I wouldn't try to avoid copper, I would do the opposite.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
One more here. I put my IC in my Star-San bucket for about 5 minutes then into the wort at flameout. A quick hose-down afterward and it's ready for the next run.

-Joe
+1. only been doing this for 3 months but i do not understand at all why you would let that thing sit in the pot for an hour. i let mine sit in a 5g of Idophor while i boil. an hour in idophor.. i get cold water running thru it the last 5 min of the boil so it goes in the pot cold already...

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Quick Reply