Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Leaking weldless site-glass, ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Leaking weldless site-glass, ideas?

Hey all, just got my site-glass and bulkhead installed on my keg and was going to fire up some water to see how long a boil was going to take me on my 30k burner. While I was waiting for the water to heat I noticed that the site-glass thermometer combo was leaking. So, I drained the water and re-tightened the nut on the back only to find it still leaking. The placement of my hole is a bit low and I worry that it may be too close to the weld to get a good seal. I was pretty careful not to over-drill my holes and they are a pretty tight fit for the fitting so I don't think it's a problem with them being too large. Any advice or input??

img_0046.jpg   img_0044.jpg   img_0038.jpg   img_0039.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Is there a gasket on the outside? That fixed mine.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 AM   #3
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No, there isn't. throwing one between the kettle wall and the washer fixed it, eh? I'll give it a whirl and see if that's the ticket. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 81

From the top picture it looks like the nut overlaps that weld below. There might be enough deflection from that to cause the o-ring to not seal well. The hole should have been drilled just a tad higher. Cadillac's idea about an o-ring on the outside might do the trick.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
wtfDean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I use an inside/outside gasket combo for my weldless ball valve. I believe this will fix your problem

edit: You could take MaxStout's advice and try shearing off the bottom part of that washer to clear the weld. It is likely that there's some overlap issue causing the seal to not be tight. Then again, the curvature of the kettle could also be causing the washer not to seat properly, making a leak. I still suggest something like an extra silicone O-ring on the outside

Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I see the problem. You didn't buy it from me

You can either swap the inner oring for a larger flat gasket or you can put a larger flat gasket on the outside between the keg and the tee (remove the SS washer).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
SandstoneCityBrew Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #7
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I'm sorry to report that the outside gasket idea was a bust. Still leaking. But further inspection and a well-placed cellphone picture shows that the nut is indeed getting hung up on the weld which is keeping it from sitting flush against the kettle wall. Have I ruined a good keg or is there some way to salvage this mishap?

Bobby, will your idea still work with this mess?

img_0052.jpg  

Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
Jim_Holmes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahB View Post
Well, I'm sorry to report that the outside gasket idea was a bust. Still leaking. But further inspection and a well-placed cellphone picture shows that the nut is indeed getting hung up on the weld which is keeping it from sitting flush against the kettle wall. Have I ruined a good keg or is there some way to salvage this mishap?

Bobby, will you idea still work with this mess?
couple of washers to bring nut out to the level of the hump should work. oring against keg 2 or 3 silicon washers then nut. might have to trim washers off a little on the hump side

Old 03-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #9
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 273

If you grind off the bottom part of the inside nut so it clears the weld, can you set the keg on the edge of a table or counter and swing the sight glass round and round to tighten the connection, instead of turning the nut?

That it might not turn stale.

But as for the malt,
She forgot to put that.
This is sober liquor,
Says little Jack Sprat.
-traditional

Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahB View Post

Bobby, will your idea still work with this mess?
If you use a flat gasket on the outside, it will work. You can't leave the SS washer in place though.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply