Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Lead glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
porcupine73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Yes there is a real risk in using glass carboys. However I believe they can be handled safely if the proper procedures are followed. I'm still working out my safety plan for using them, such as a dolly to wheel them around, some type of cut resistant gloves, and probably synthetic motorcycle riding gear, and a hardware cloth shrowd to put around the carboy. I have held full 6.5g carboys and shook them to agitate them, I am very very happy I didn't have one break but I will say if one had - I would be in a world of hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
I assume you dont drink soda or anything from a plastic bottle like milk or fruit juice, because all of it comes in various levels of PET and other food safe plastics. All those store baked cookies you eat from the store? Frosting comes in giant plastic buckets. Almost everything we eat contacts food safe plastic at one point for transport or manufacturing, worrying about it is like worrying if the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
I don't drink soda at all, but right I do not drink beverages from plastic containers and I don't eat store bought cookies. Now just because it might not be practical to completely eliminate contact with plastic doesn't necessarily mean that minimizing it isn't a good idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply