Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Lead glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
amandabab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

crackle bottom carboys aren't "cracked" .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Right, they're not, I see that pattern on these carboys, and in addition, the spider web style actual true cracking can see the crack all the way through the glass type cracks. I don't know, it just makes me nervous with glass, though I fully intend to continue using glass carboys or possibly if I get scared enough moving to stainless kegs for primary.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #13
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 8

On closer inspection (following a little cleaning) the 'cracks' actually appear to be deep scratches or gouges. Very strange. I've now filled the carboy (all the way to the very brim) with brewclean from kegconnection.com and I'm leaving it overnight.

Im not super worried about the scratches anymore, they dont appead to be deep at all. I just wonder how the hell they got there. Attached are photos.

img_0576.jpg   img_0577.jpg   img_0579.jpg  

A little irreverence is good for the soul

Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #14
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Those scratches are normal. Most of my old carboys have them it's from the mold. They aren't real cracks.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
porcupine73
Recipes 

Hm, seriously, that is from the mold? Why do they look like they go all the way through the glass? That's what I see on my old ones too. I really really want to believe they're just cosmetic but man if it doesn't look like a crack going all the way through.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Safa
Recipes 

Thanks JRems, that's awesome.

Porcupine, not sure about yours but in person mine doesn't look like the scratches are very deep, only a few millimeters or so.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
porcupine73
Recipes 

Hm ok thanks for posting the pics. I'm going to take a closer look at mine, maybe they're not cracked after all, they look pretty much exactly like your photos. I thought I could see the cracks going all the way through the glass, but I guess probably they aren't since they don't leak. That would be an extra five carboys I could use then.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Safa
Recipes 

How much headspace do you guys recommend for a primary? I measured this guy last night and its 5.5gal filled right to the brim, and 5 gal to the step. Would that 0.5 gal be enough, or should I expect to use a blow off tube?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

i said it on page one, but nearly every old glass carboy has the circular "scratches" posted above. i'm not sure why but i think the old water companies did this when they got rid of bottles.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
The part that scares me about it is they don't even have to show a visible crack, sometimes they just seem to come apart on people. I personally like glass because I just do not trust plastic even if someone claims it is 'food grade'. The FDA telling me something is safe or is 'food grade' does not reassure me. In hindsight if I hadn't just bought so many glass carboys I'd highly consider going with stainless steel kegs for fermenting.

The leadcheck swabs are nice, but those are usually like $25 a kit though it includes a number of swabs. To spend that to test for lead might as well just get a new carboy. I don't know if those swabs would work on glass. I have a feeling they are picking up a bit of dust or material off the surface, i.e. a painted surface to detect it, I don't know it would get that off a glass surface. I have some kit like that but it needs a chip of material that you crush and put in an ampule and squeeze it to mix the chemical.
I assume you dont drink soda or anything from a plastic bottle like milk or fruit juice, because all of it comes in various levels of PET and other food safe plastics. All those store baked cookies you eat from the store? Frosting comes in giant plastic buckets. Almost everything we eat contacts food safe plastic at one point for transport or manufacturing, worrying about it is like worrying if the sun is going to rise tomorrow.

Personally i wouldnt touch a glass carboy with a 10 foot pole even in perfect condition, way too many stories on this forum and elsewhere about people losing beer and needing stitches because their carboy decided to commit suicide and shatter on them at the most inopportune time...i wouldnt even think of using one that was cracked or had gouches/scratches like the ones shown in the pictures...why bother when you can get a bucket for $15 or a better bottle for like $22-23 and never ever have to worry about it. I understand the need and desire to penny pinch, but seriously this isnt a cheap hobby to begin with...spend the $20 and get proper(safe) equipment.

Option 1) Learn to build ships in bottles
Option 2) Trash it

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Quick Reply