Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Lakeview Valley Farms...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #1
UdderJuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 31
Default Lakeview Valley Farms...

Hello everyone. The past weekend I was with the wife in Bed Bath and Beyond and saw a little beer brewing kit made by Lakeview Valley Farms. It was only 30 bucks so I thought "what the hell" and took it home.

It makes 6 beers per batch in a little plastic square with an air valve on top. I started my first brew Saturday night following their sanitization instructions however I have some concerns.

First of all the dry malt that came with the kit was hard like a brick. I had to take a rolling pin to it to crush it up. Secondly it said to add my starter yeast mix to my boiled wort after the wort had cooled to 65-70 degrees F which I took to mean room tempature.

Two days later it is bubbling but only very tiny bubbles can be seen rising to the top and the surface of the wort is bassically calm with only the ocasional bubble popping on the surface.

So I guess my questions are:

Is this kit crap?

Can I use the equipment but get fresh ingredients somewhere?

Should I have chilled my boiled wort in the fridge before adding the yeast? It would never reach the specified temp. as the air temp in my apt is around 75 degrees.

Thanks.

__________________
UdderJuice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Rahbek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdderJuice

Can I use the equipment but get fresh ingredients somewhere?

Should I have chilled my boiled wort in the fridge before adding the yeast? It would never reach the specified temp. as the air temp in my apt is around 75 degrees.
Yes, it should be no problem finding a home brew store on the net. You might find that 6 beers at a time is very little and that a complete kit with bucket, airlock etc. for brewing 3 or 5 gallons extract brews is not much more expensive.

It depends, how warm do you think the wort was when you added the yeast? If it was more than 100 degrees F, you might as well get rid of the brew because then you have probably killed the yeast and something else (nasty) is fermenting your beer...

I can really recommed Charlie Papazian's book "The complete joy of homebrewing", it is really good an explain everything from the bottom up in a humorous and straight forward manner. Check your local library or (internet-) book shop.

Charlie's advice to homebrewers can more or less be summed up to: "Cleanliness is paramount" and "Relax, Don't worry and Have a home brew!"

Good luck and Let us know how you go!

Christian Rahbek, Denmark
__________________
Rahbek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
UdderJuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahbek
Yes, it should be no problem finding a home brew store on the net. You might find that 6 beers at a time is very little and that a complete kit with bucket, airlock etc. for brewing 3 or 5 gallons extract brews is not much more expensive.

It depends, how warm do you think the wort was when you added the yeast? If it was more than 100 degrees F, you might as well get rid of the brew because then you have probably killed the yeast and something else (nasty) is fermenting your beer...

I can really recommed Charlie Papazian's book "The complete joy of homebrewing", it is really good an explain everything from the bottom up in a humorous and straight forward manner. Check your local library or (internet-) book shop.

Charlie's advice to homebrewers can more or less be summed up to: "Cleanliness is paramount" and "Relax, Don't worry and Have a home brew!"

Good luck and Let us know how you go!

Christian Rahbek, Denmark
Yes, I've been looking at 5 gal kits that only cost 10-20 dollars more than what I spent. I think I'm going to get one of these as you are correct, 6 beers is not many. I wish I had done some more research first as I could have spent the money I wasted on glass bottles.

At any rate I can tell that this batch is not fermenting properly. The surface has barely any foam and the air lock on top is not bubbling at all. Oh well, it has been a learning experience.

I will keep you posted on my progress.
__________________
UdderJuice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
UdderJuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 31
Default

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to add that this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/equipkit.asp is the starter kit I'm looking at getting. It seems like its pretty complete. Does anybody have any suggestions for a better price or is 50 bucks pretty good?

__________________
UdderJuice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
Rahbek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdderJuice
Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to add that this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/equipkit.asp is the starter kit I'm looking at getting. It seems like its pretty complete. Does anybody have any suggestions for a better price or is 50 bucks pretty good?
It looks like a pretty good kit. You just need a big pot to boil the wort in and I would also recommed that you get hold of a book on home brewing. There are a few different ones, I really like the Papazian ones.
__________________
Rahbek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
UdderJuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahbek
It looks like a pretty good kit. You just need a big pot to boil the wort in and I would also recommed that you get hold of a book on home brewing. There are a few different ones, I really like the Papazian ones.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I actually decided to go with the Mr Beer system. After doing a lot of reading I determined that the 5 gal system with 2 buckets A) made way more beer than I can drink and B) is more work than I want to get into. I just want to do this as a relaxing hobby, at least to start with.

The Mr. Beer system looks like they simplify the process some and it only make 24 beers. I should get my kit tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turns out.
__________________
UdderJuice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
Rahbek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 26
Default

I somehow can't fathom your Point A): Way more beer than you can drink? I would be happy to drink 2-3 pints of good homebrew a day - And just imagine what happens when your friends find out that you are home brewing...

However, I fully understand your point B): My homebrew setup is somewhat more advanced than Mr. Beer, but it also requires more work to make beer this way. I am sure that excellent beer can be made (in first attempt!) using a Mr. Beer setup, and if you feel like it, you can just move on to another setup later. Just remember this (Citing Papazian):
1) Cleanliness is paramount!
2) Relax, don't worry and have a home brew!

Good luck, let's know how you go!

Christian, Denmark

__________________
Rahbek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
UdderJuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahbek
I somehow can't fathom your Point A): Way more beer than you can drink? I would be happy to drink 2-3 pints of good homebrew a day - And just imagine what happens when your friends find out that you are home brewing...

However, I fully understand your point B): My homebrew setup is somewhat more advanced than Mr. Beer, but it also requires more work to make beer this way. I am sure that excellent beer can be made (in first attempt!) using a Mr. Beer setup, and if you feel like it, you can just move on to another setup later. Just remember this (Citing Papazian):
1) Cleanliness is paramount!
2) Relax, don't worry and have a home brew!

Good luck, let's know how you go!

Christian, Denmark
Well I was thinking that 24 would be enough when the MR Beer instructions said that I'd be brewing 24 every two weeks. But I read that for best results you should let your beer sit in the bottle for 10 days to 2 or 3 weeks.

I had another question about the bottling proccess as well.

I read here http://www.leeners.com/mrbeer.html that you should never use table sugar for carbonation and to make a syrup by boiling corn sugar and water. However the Mr Beer instructions http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...structions.pdf clearly state to use table sugar and not corn sugar or their booster sugar for bottling.

Can you think of why it would be bad to use corn sugar instead of table sugar?
__________________
UdderJuice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #9
Rahbek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 26
Default

I'm not really sure on the priming sugar issue; I use table sugar and I don't get any problemes due to this. Some recipies call for Dried Malt Extract (DME) for priming, but I don't think it will make much difference. Be carefull not to add too much sugar, go by the recommmendations from the beer kit or recipe that your are using. I use about 5 1/2 to 6 ounces of table sugar boiled with a cup or so of water for 5 gallons of beer. I'd recommed that you always boil the priming sugar with water for sanitation raesons. The fermented beer is (like the wort) very sensitive to infections.

Regards, Christian

__________________
Rahbek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
sweepking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 37
Default

I am a dedicated Mr. Beer user, and I have always followed the carbonating instructions per Mr. Beer. I have never had an infection problem, and the carbonation turns out fine. I once tried Coopers, and I did not get as good results from those. I don't know why other places always suggest corn sugar...table sugar is just as if not more fermentable, and at that low amount doesn't add funny or cidery flavors. The little sugar measure Mr. Beer sells on their website works great too.

__________________
sweepking is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turkey Farms? brauhaus General Chit Chat 7 11-23-2008 02:52 PM
4B farms? Okiebrewer Hops Growing 4 03-31-2008 09:43 PM
4 B Farms-- the pakage is in. karbinator Hops Growing 0 03-21-2008 09:01 PM
FYI: Puterbaugh Farms Evan! Recipes/Ingredients 2 04-11-2007 06:13 PM
Hop Farms in Germany? Reverend JC General Beer Discussion 5 03-15-2007 10:05 PM